Posts made by Cynthia Alvarado

I found your diagram to be a fairly accurate mapping of behaviors I have observed thus far. Thank you for contributing it. Will the ongoing progress of various interactive web technologies, such as virtual worlds expand it? I wonder. 
As a teacher with 30 years experience in K-12 in various positions and a mother of 5 20something kids, my experience is that serious games are more time effective at teaching concepts than most other teaching methods. I have found this to be especially true of things that require repetition, such as math facts. I know there is some research out there to validate it, although I don't have it at hand this minute. I will post links later. I do know the widely used "Everyday Math" program (formerly Chicago Math, developed originally by folks from University of Chicago) recommends on day per week be spent on the math games potion of the program. They also have both technology-based games and traditional games using dice , cards, etc.
Yes, I am really struck by the constructivist learning possibilities in SL. I am beginning to think in terms of having my students literally "construct" meaning in Second Life thorugh building 3d representations of comcepts. it also seems like having them assist in construction of the learning environment and learning tools could only lead to deeper understanding and student invollvement.