Posts made by Gina Bennett

Thanks for the great links, Estrella! I especially enjoyed playing with the java applets at the PHET site. There is something mildly addictive about being able to try the simulation from so many different perspectives and starting points.

You mentioned that ICT can be used in the science classroom to:
>> have the students learn science by "doing" science even if it has to be virtually (emphasis added)

Are you implying that learning science virtually is not as good an experience as doing it 'in real life'? If so, can you explain why you think it's a less valuable experience?
Welcome, Marsha! I recognize your face from other SCoPE discussions. I will be starting to teach an online algebra course for literacy level learners, beginning April 21st. The course, offered through AlphaRoute (using Moodle) is called "Letters for Numbers: A first look at Algebra". I'm not kidding when I say it's at a basic level, & I mean REALLY basic. I'd be interested to hear anything about your experience with interactive apps in teaching algebra.

I think to understand science (& I will include math in there too) requires that one develop a particular kind of thinking; almost a new philosophy. But how do we teach a new pattern of thinking? -- it almost requires a kind of 'imprinting' process (to borrow a term from biology). Given your experience, do you have any thoughts on that?
You may have already seen this latest bit of news from Campus Technology about how 'hybrid' (i.e. f2f supplemented with instructional technology were found to be more effective than the traditional f2f lecture alone. In case you don't have time to read the article, here's the punchline:

"Students who attended the hybrid course received final grades that were 10% higher than those who attended the traditional class, which translated to a full letter grade increase.

"Presumably, this increase is due to the fact that students were able to increase their exposure to course content via access to material on WebCT," McFarlin writes in his report"

The 'course content' referred to by McFarlin seems to have been primarily PowerPoint presentations that students could re-visit, with some online quizzes too.

A full letter grade increase is a pretty substantial gain for what sounds like a relatively 'low tech' approach!
Hi Chris, you asked:
>>What are new technologies? (that we wouldn't use in Communications, for example)

The kind of technologies I'm thinking about are science-lab simulations (for example, look at the Transgenic Fly lab) or remote science activities (for example, see what Ohio State University is doing with remote science activities).

Your next question, "Is the general opinion that science can be taught at a distance? What are the concerns?" is even more interesting! I'm not sure that there is a "general opinion" on this but I do know that some science teachers feel very strongly that science must be learned in a lab under the direction of a science teacher.

What are the concerns? That's exactly what I'm hoping to explore in this discussion! What are the concerns? How can these be addressed with technology? Or can they? Are virtual labs and remote science activities enough?