Posts made by Gina Bennett

Hi Ray, thanks for the detailed answer. I first heard about LON-CAPA several years ago when we started to research alternatives to WebCT for our college. We ended up (happily) going with Moodle, but I remember hearing about how great LON-CAPA was for supporting science courses. Is there any way we could get 'guest access' so we could see some of these quizzing options in action? I'd love to peek inside a LON-CAPA supported course...

Gina
Hi Ignatia, it seems that NASA agrees with you about the value of simulations for learning science concepts. I just saw this article today in the latest issue of Campus Technology. Here's a snippet:

NASA this week moved a step closer to branching into educational gaming. The agency presented its vision of a science education-focused massively multiplayer online game to more than 200 potential software development partners in a workshop Monday sponsored by NASA Learning Technologies, an educational technology incubator project.

The idea of the MMO educational game is to present NASA content in such a way as to draw students into science, technology, engineering, and mathematics learning and to spark interest in STEM-oriented careers. It will be aimed primarily at teenagers, according to NASA, focusing on middle schoolers, high schoolers, and college students...

The power of games as educational tools rapidly is gaining recognition. Virtual worlds with scientifically accurate simulations could permit learners to experiment with chemical reactions in living cells, practice operating and repairing expensive equipment, and experience microgravity," NASA explained in an announcement issued Monday. "The goal is to make it easier to grasp complex concepts and transfer this understanding quickly to practical problems."

Interesting!
Gina
Hi Marsha, I am so glad you are posting your 'real world' observations here, because these are the very same questions & problems that we are going to get from our faculty as we attempt to offer a real science experience at a distance. There are 2 of your questions I especially want to re-visit:

1. How to do a broad spectrum of traditional laboratory experiments when you don't have a laboratory?
2. What is lost without real beakers and Bunsen burners?

IMO these questions are closely related. How can you do a broad spectrum of traditional lab experiments without a traditional lab? You can't. You can more-or-less replicate the easy labs, like adding vinegar to baking soda, but let's face it: most traditional experiments require traditional lab equipment (like beakers & bunsen burners), lab environments (e.g. sterile chambers), & the safety apparatus to support such things. And the equipment gets more complicated, expensive, specialized & dangerous the higher up you go educationally.

So the key, for me, is that word 'traditionally'. Just how important or necessary are those traditional lab experiments to the learning of science? Just how important is it to know exactly how to turn the dials of a microscope, handle the glassware when conducting a titration, or get the flame height 'just so' when heating something over a bunsen burner? Are these experiences really science, or are they technical skills that have traditionally been developed to support the learning of science? If you are not going into medicine, do you really have to know how to dissect? If you're not going to be a chemist, do you really have to know how to do a titration?

It's the very questions you present that makes us ask the question: how (or why) do we re-think the teaching of science?

gina
This is an awesome site, Sylvia! The idea of sharing not only scientific research, but also collaboration & mentoring between Europe & Africa, at a very grassroots level, is such a great concept. I love the 'without borders' movement & I like even better the way the French have turned it into a noun: sansfrontierisme.

Scientific research does (or can) benefit us all. Scientists have known this for a long time & it's certainly the main reason that the results of scientific research, while usually funded nationally, are shared internationally. David Reinking is a professor at the University of Georgia & he writes extensively about how 'digital literacies' are changing the way we do things. He was writing about access to information in general when he wrote about the importance of filtering and selecting information...

more for the sake of finding the most relevant, useful, and convincing information from diverse, readily available sources, not, I hope, from the standpoint of deciding what information might be used ethically in a legal sense. In fact, I'd rather turn the question around 180 degrees: When is it ethically justifiable to deny people access to and dissemination of potentially useful information? There are a lot of unexamined assumptions related to these issues.

... but I think his advice & query is even more pertinent to the use of information in the sciences.

A bit off-topic, I suppose; but what the heck? It's week three! We can afford to dabble.