Posts made by Gina Bennett

Thanks Asif; you are correct: open learning objectives and open evaluation are precisely the concepts I had in mind. I just didn't know that there were functional terms to define these concepts but as I see you use the terms in context it makes perfect sense. And I love your insinuation that by setting such a high standard, an OERu could theoretically offer a learning credential superior to those offered by traditional universities.

I do appreciate Wayne's desire to keep our innovation within the limits of how far the current system can stretch but I love to contemplate what *could* be given the limits of what is.
Hi Wayne, you wrote:
I don't think the traditional and non-traditional approaches are mutually exclusive. I don't think that building a a sustainable OER ecosystem (formal, non-formal and informal) is like the revolution versus evolution debate. Lots of small steps in the formal sector will add up to big change for all learners in the future.

I suppose you are right although it is agonizing for those of us who grasp the potential of an OERu sort of idea to have to wait for those countless 'small steps'. After all, most institutions already have some sort of PLAR process in place but as has been noted so many of those processes a) provide opportunity to acquire only a small proportion of required credits; b) are more time-consuming than taking the course they propose to circumvent; c) are prohibitively expensive. We did a lot of research into existing PLAR policies when we revamped our policy at College of the Rockies & we were impressed by the "tone" of many such policies which we found to be restrictive, negative (punitive even) & in effect extremely discouraging. Maybe an initiative like the focus of this SCoPE discussion will help a significant number of institutions move beyond such stillborn PLAR policies & move us closer to the tipping point.

And finally
you can increase the size of the network by one by getting the College of the Rockies to join us as one of the founding anchor partners.

An intriguing invitation Wayne & I will follow up with you on that.
I understand the interest (even focus) on building an OER credential from existing systems & I can't argue with Wayne when he notes how innovation falters when it exceeds the capacity of institutions to integrate those innovations. However, I think Asif Devji makes a critical point about the hegemony of traditional educational institutions, alluding to the degree to which major universities in effect 'own' the world's academic credentialling. I wonder: does it have to be that way? Forever??? So even though it may not seem sequential to ponder non-traditional credential ideas for the OERu, I still think it's valuable to take a few minutes to dream about an optimal system. Even if such a system is impossible to implement given current realities, identifying an ideal to work towards can help us make decisions about those realistic increments along the way.

So what would such an optimal system look like? Here's my daydream...

First of all, I recognize the desire for a credential. A credential is a social document: it recognizes a particular bundle or collection of learnings that together have more social value or more utility than the same collection when documented in an unconnected way. A credential is an implied guarantee that I can perform a particular function/job in society; it's social metadata.

So the people & organizations that employ or define social functions would need to detail the knowledge, skills & attitudes (to use traditional instructional design language) required for each function. And they would need to have a process by which this definition can be kept up-to-date. And the definitions need to utilize somewhat standard terminology & they need to be stored in a common database.

And then we would need detailed – I mean DETAILED – assessment tools, transparent & available to all. So when I become interested in qualifying for a new job, I can look at the assessment tools & do a pretty good self-evaluation of what I know & can do. I can use a variety of resources (OERs, experts, learning communities) to develop knowledge & skills I lack. When I'm ready, I can utilize a supervised testing service to have my knowledge formally assessed & I can book time with an expert to have my hands-on skills assessed. When I have demonstrated a prescribed level of readiness, I become eligible for a co-op placement or internship or maybe even an entry-level job.

So my daydream is very similar to Asif's portfolio idea with one difference: my dream includes that master database of social functions with the detailed list of learnings required to work in those positions. Such a database would be outside & ABOVE the authority of the universities. Educational institutions could still be involved of course because they often provide very efficient pathways for acquiring a package of learning. But in my daydream, they no longer have the power to credential; only to support preparation for credentialling. And something larger than the network of current institutions would be responsible for storing & maintaining the database & maybe that's where the OERu (would have to change its name though I think) would come in...

Lots of flaws in that model I know but that's as far as I get in my dreaming before I tend to wake up :)
Hi everybody,

I'm Gina Bennett, & I coordinate distance learning & curriculum development for College of the Rockies in Cranbrook, BC. I am also involved in a partial secondment for an exciting online science project (focussing on the development of remote lab experiences).

I'm joining this seminar because of my long-time interest in OERs which only gets stronger each time I return from an educational consultancy in a developing nation. I believe that education really is the key to sustainable development & until we can provide some equity in who gets to learn & who gets to be credentialled, we continue to cripple development efforts.

Gina