Discussions started by Gina Bennett

Greetings, wonderful FLO participants

My clock shows 5:30 pm & for us, that's the signal to chill the beer glasses & put the pizza in the oven. 

It's been a GREAT week for me, getting to know you all a bit better & looking at "community" from new angles. I've thought about my name; doodled my past, present & future in tree form; wrote a micro-novel based on 5 random images; & jotted down some ideas that could become part of a remote learner's checklist for staying in touch. For such a small group, we sure generated a lot of ideas!

I'm off to celebrate Friday but I'll be logging in over the weekend to re-read some posts & check for new ones. Thanks to my wonderful co-facilitators, Colleen & Sylvia, & thanks to all of you for making this week feel like a cozy, fun, & invigorating community.

Gina 

How was your Hallowe'en, people? We had 43 visitors, the most yet since our move to Hope. We almost ran out of candy -- & of course that had nothing to do with our rigorous quality control practice of "checking the product" every so often.

It's Day 4 (already!) of our microcourse. If you're following the recommended Activity Plan, you'll be somewhere along in the process of wrapping up your community-building "creation" & sharing it with the class. Indeed, if you check the Sharing & Feedback forum, you'll see 4 unique drafts of activities designed to initiate, develop, or further a sense of community among a group of learners.

If you haven't posted a community-building creation, no worries -- there's still time to do that. If all you've got is a rough idea or a 2-sentence concept, post it anyway & let us ponder it with you!

If you've already posted a creation, now is the time to explore ...

• read, respond, & (if time permits) try out a community-building activity or 2 from your classmates
  • dig a little deeper to reflect on one or 2 questions posed by classmates about your activity.

Welcome to Wednesday -- also known as 'hump day' by some who look forward to having the work-week almost half over. Today is also the suggested day to post your "creation" to the Sharing & Feedback forum. If you do have a draft of a community-building activity ready, we'd love to take a look at it (& try it out, if at all possible). The Sharing & Feedback forum has a short series of questions to guide your post. You'll note that a couple of community-building enthusiasts have already posted an activity but if you're not ready by the end of the day, no worries -- there are no hard & fast deadlines here & we understand if you're just too busy getting your Hallowe'en costume together :-D

dog in giraffe costume

Our MicroCourse has been underway for a day now & I've just been taking a few minutes to look around, see where we are, that kind of thing. This is a course about building community & I'm wondering how people experienced the "situating ourselves" activity using Moodle's glossary tool. I don't know about you but almost as soon as I had posted my "situation" I found myself checking back, looking to see who else had posted & reading the comments. I feel like I know everybody a little bit better & for me, that's an essential part of feeling "in community." But I'd be interested to hear what others think.

We had 8 people post an entry situating themselves & that accumulated more than 80 tags!!! We are a small but very diverse group, representing  5 provinces & 3 territories, 2 beverages, 3 animals, & an awful lot of interests. 

I'm wondering how people made out with the Activity Packet, & if you were able to complete some of the 10 steps suggested there. What's been your experience of community building in the past? Have you ever tried to create a sense of community in an online course before? In what ways do you hope community building activities will change your learning environment?

This is such a busy time & no doubt many of you are busy with midterms. If you get a minute, check out Tara's "midterm motivation" idea (posted in the Sharing & Feedback forum) for an interesting approach to strengthening community in the middle of the semester. 

Oh - before I forget - thanks to everybody who added resources to our Resource list. I don't know who added the idea about mindmap intros using Coggle but I'd love to learn more about that... can you share an example?