Posts made by Heather Ross

Ignatia,

That sounds like an amazing project. I would love to hear more.

I design distance learning courses for apprentices in the trades and for health care providers, both who are often in rural areas of Saskatchewan. They have more access to technology than your rural farmers, but not a lot of knowledge about how to use it.

I am very interested in knowing more about delivery via cell phones.
Ignatia,

That sounds like an amazing project. I would love to hear more.

I design distance learning courses for apprentices in the trades and for health care providers, both who are often in rural areas of Saskatchewan. They have more access to technology than your rural farmers, but not a lot of knowledge about how to use it.

I am very interested in knowing more about delivery via cell phones.
I hadn't visited SCoPE recently because of the joys of summer, including partaking of your amazing hospitality, Sylvia, but an email showed up in my box yesterday to remind me to get back to it.

I'm with Derek on wanting to explore more 2.0 tools and issues, but I've spent the past 24 hours thinking about Jennifer Wagner's blog post about getting beyond preaching to the converted. How do we reach educators who aren't part of our conversation? How do we convince them to get beyond the "I don't have the time" and other such reasons for resistance to using technology with their learners? (I may be volunteering to facilitate with this one).

And Derek, I really miss Kathy Sierra's posts.
I hadn't visited SCoPE recently because of the joys of summer, including partaking of your amazing hospitality, Sylvia, but an email showed up in my box yesterday to remind me to get back to it.

I'm with Derek on wanting to explore more 2.0 tools and issues, but I've spent the past 24 hours thinking about Jennifer Wagner's blog post about getting beyond preaching to the converted. How do we reach educators who aren't part of our conversation? How do we convince them to get beyond the "I don't have the time" and other such reasons for resistance to using technology with their learners? (I may be volunteering to facilitate with this one).

And Derek, I really miss Kathy Sierra's posts.
Life long learning has come up a few times during this seminar and it's reminded me of a presentation I sat in on at AMTEC/CADE. Susan Zahn, an instructional designer with the American Academy of Pediatrics was speaking about their Web site, PediaLink. Anyone who is a member of the Academy can login and use this as a place to store questions that they want to research later, look up learning resources, take some pre-tests to determine where they made need to take some of their required continuing professional learning hours, and touch base with others through the discussion boards.

Residents are required to use this Web site for various assigned activities. It's the hope of the Susan and those she works with that this requirement early on will encourage the residents to become life long learners. I'm not sure how well that will work, but it's an interesting approach.

Susan said something that stood out for me. They surveyed practicing pediatricians and asked them what they did when a patient asked a question and they couldn't answer it right then. Most of them responded that they kept note cards in their pockets, but often never got back to them. The section on the Web site that allows the doctors to log questions that they can research later came out of that one question.