Posts made by Heather Ross

Sylvia,

Yes, I think you're on the right track with this list. I have frequently told people who are editing their writing to read the material out loud so that they can hear how it sounds.

I think one suggestion that is very important is to remember why you are doing it the podcast, webcast, etc. If you care about the topic then you should be trying to make others care about it. Be passionate, but not melodramatic.

Heather

Sylvia,

I think that you may be on to something.

Too many people just sit and write something out and (1) don't think about the fact that we speak differently than we write and (2) that they end up sounding like they are reading a script.

Recently I have spoken with two different friends who are working on creating informational sound recordings (one a podcast and the other a CD) for their clients. One wrote out a script, read it through his recording and the end result was, by his own admission, extremely dry.

I recommended to him and the other that they consider taking a more conversational approach. As a former journalist I found that an interview type format also helps to keep things more lively.

I think that in the future I may recommend they consider what you have said. Do you have any suggestions on resources for this?
Liz,

I can understand your feelings about having learned WebCT. While working on my degree in journalism about a decade ago I was required to take a graphics course where we learned PageMaker. When I got my first job at a paper I was disapointed to learn that I suddenly had to learn QuarkXPress, which had become a standard without our university noticing.

As for my reaction to the merger, I have had some mixed feelings. Will they take the best of both programs? Will open source triumph? What about First Class?

Most of my experience is with WebCT although I did use First Class for discussion boards about five years ago. I have no experience with BlackBoard. This board is my only experience with Moodle.

One concern that I have is in relation to the users. How many professors or K-12 teachers have just gotten comfortable with whichever courseware they are using (WebCT or BlackBoard) and may have to experience a significant change (even to an open source version)? What about students?

I think it's too early to know what the results of this merger will be. We'll have to wait and see and hope that they ask some ID people for advice before making any radical changes.