Posts made by Heather Ross

I've been a bit out of the loop lately so I didn't hear about this seminar until Rick posted it on his blog. I'm going to go watch the Elluminate session shortly, but I wanted to give my answers to the questions.

Earliest memory of educational technology:
I was going to say those film projectors that had little strips of film that came in tiny canisters, but then George's answer reminded me what technology really is. My answer would be those almost tan colored pieces of paper with the special lines that we used to learn how print (they obviously didn't work for me).

Who is the most influential scholar in educational technology you can name?
Rick Schwier and Alec Couros (they are the most influential in my life at least).

What is an important event in the history of educational technology?
Invention of telephone and radio.

What are some of the historical lenses we can use to look at the history of EdTech?
I would say the lens of our own experience. We have seen so much of the history of EdTech first hand.

I was at a conference recently where a speaker talked about a few applications and what you can do with them. Unfortunately, he was wrong about some of the things that you can do with them. I fear that this happens a lot at conferences and instructors come back to their "tech people" and ask "How do I do what he/she said I can do". Then they get frustrated when it turns out that they can't do those things. This only ends up discouraging these instructors.

I'm not sure how best to counteract this problem, but I would think that some sort of ongoing support network (like SCoPE or one that is workplace-based) may offer some assistance. To me, this is a big part of VPD.