Posts made by Heather Ross

Thanks for the definitions Chris. You're right, they do have different philosophical backgrounds, but they both offer educators and students a chance to use programs without spending money on MS, Macromedia/Adobe, etc.

This is just my opinion, but I do find that OSS, freeware and even many shareware applications that I've used seem to do a better job of keeping end-users in mind. From the user side (as opposed to the tech / installation side) they seem to be easier to use (warning: another overgeneralization). Perhaps it's because there is no major company behind them, these applications tend to be less grandiose.
I recognize that these are potential off-shoots of open source, but I'm not sure how many of these fee for services would get used. As has been mentioned earlier, many open source tools have existing support networks made up of users and contributors. Why pay for it when I can ask friends, colleagues and people on the tool's forum help?

If a tool doesn't have good support community, I am less likely to try it in the first place.