Posts made by Heather Ross

Bruno,

You raise excellent points. I don't mean to lump every bit of open source or open source user/developer together. I know that there are different views, different experiences, and different types of users/developers.

I agree that with what you said about Blackboard, but I am concerned about the way the courts will handle this. After all, a company in the US was granted a patent on a gene (something inside of us) and at least one court has already upheld that.
This question popped into my head after reading Bruno Vernier's post.

The one that comes to mind for me is patents and subsequent lawsuits like the attack from WebCT/Blackboard against Desire2Learn. While Blackboard has indicated that they will not go after open source, I don't know how long they will hold to that view. I think that the outcome of their case against Desire2Learn make have an impact on the software industry in general.

What are your thoughts on this?
What other things do you think might pose a threat to the growing open source movement?
Bruno,

Thank you so much for that explanation and for joining our conversation. I have another question for you, but I think that I'll start a new topic with it, so look for, "What Do You Think Might Be Threats To The Open Source Movement?"

Heather
First, there are some wonderful things coming out of this conversation so far. If you haven't had a chance to post a comment or ask a question, please don't hesitate to do so. This seminar is obviously very lively and multi-dimensional, but the more the merrier.

Now, so far we've heard a lot from people who have tried open source software, but I'd like to hear from those of you who haven't. What has stopped you from using it? Is it even talked about at your institution? Have there been any external barriers stopping you?