Posts made by Heather Ross

Welcome Ricky.

My suggestion would be that if your institution allows you to step outside of Blackboard you should make use of tools like blogs and wikis to add collaboration to courses.

I've spoken with a few people who, unfortunately, do not see blogs as collaborative. They think that they're just about one person putting up posts and letting others respond to what they have to say. I've seen many collaborative blogs, however, in educational and non-educational settings and I think that they are a great addition to the learning process.
As this discussion comes to the end, I would like to thank all of you for such a wonderful and lively conversation on open source. We raised a lot of issues and shared some wonderful resources.

For a parting gift for all of you, I came across a nifty little open source application yesterday for pre-production media project. Check out Celtx (Windows, Mac and Linux).

And thank you again for the wonderful discussion.
My fellow open-source evangelist Alec Couros, pointed me towards this article on the MyVoIPnews blog, "Forty foundations for the future of open source".

If you want to forecast the future of a philosophy or technology, you need look no further than the world of academia. What those who learned yesterday impart to today’s students will shape tomorrow. And in open source, there appear to be infinite tomorrows, with open source projects being undertaken by East Coasters like MIT, West Coasters like UCB and everyone else in between. Herewith, forty projects underway right now featuring students building the world of the future. This article is in the same vein as 50 Open Source success stories in Business, Education, and Government.

The article then goes on to list 40 open source projects, mostly connected to educational institutes. I thought this would be an appropriate link to add to our discussion.

Bruno,

This is great. Thank you.

UC Berkely is doing some great stuff in terms of practicing what they preach. They made these lectures available for everyone, the syllabus is a wiki, and other courses have been video taped and are now up on Google video.

My favorite is Dr. Marian Diamond's Integrative Biology 131.

Heather
I think that it depends on the application. I'm using Firefox and I don't need to know anything about coding to do this. I downloaded and installed NeoOffice (Open Office for Mac) and installation was at least as easy as installing MS Office. Installing Moodle would obviously be more difficult.

It also depends on what you plan to do with the application. Are you going to be strictly a user or do you want to work on the development of the application?