Posts made by Heather Ross

Steve,

I've often been at conferences or in conversation with instructors where they hear about a new tool (at least new to them) and they say something along the lines of "Oh, now I just have to find something to use that for." As you said, tools change, and not every tool is right for the learning environment. It should always be about "I need to do this. What would be the right tool to use?"
Deirdre,

We're trying out Wave among some of the course designers at SIAST, but I haven't had a chance to really hit the road with it (feel like I've just been driving in circles around the parking lot). I agree that Moodle is better for discussion, but I have used Wave for some collaboration and I, as Emma said, the best way to see what we can do with it is to give it a try.

Oh if we all had Moodle to work with. :)
A few years ago, after I had been part of Scope for awhile and had exchanged a few emails with Sylvia, she and I decided to put in a proposal about Scope as a virtual learning community for the then Amtec / Cade conference. We wrote the proposal and put together the presentation entirely virtually, with Sylvia in BC and me in Saskatoon. We never even spoke on the phone. We met for the first time the day of our presentation in Winnipeg.

I'm not sure how I feel about Wave yet (I'm not a fan of Buzz mostly because of how Google blew it on the privacy issue), but I'm looking at this as an opportunity to spend more time playing around with it. Will we be looking at other collaborative tools as well?
Activity 1:

I put my name in and mostly got people who aren't me (that's what happens with such a common name). Then I tried "Mctoonish" which is the name of my blog and user name on most social networking sites (Twitter, et al). and only got my blog. It made me feel very inconsequential.

Dean Sharesky (Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan) recommended that I try spezify.com and I got this http://spezify.com/#/mctoonish

Activity 2:

I agree with Wendy that it is "You are what you share and what others share about you." It's also about who is actually listening to you. It makes me happy when I see that people I respect in my field are following me (or even referencing me), but I get a lot of "new follower" notices from Twitter that are actually from online marketers. Clay Shirky noted in Here Comes Everybody that these marketers "friend" lots of people in the hopes that others follow them in return. In reality only other marketers tend to follow them thinking the same thing.. Nobody actually reads what any of them have to say.