Discussions started by Heather Ross

First, there are some wonderful things coming out of this conversation so far. If you haven't had a chance to post a comment or ask a question, please don't hesitate to do so. This seminar is obviously very lively and multi-dimensional, but the more the merrier.

Now, so far we've heard a lot from people who have tried open source software, but I'd like to hear from those of you who haven't. What has stopped you from using it? Is it even talked about at your institution? Have there been any external barriers stopping you?
Welcome to the seminar on The Use of Open Source and Free Software in Education. My hope is that during the next few weeks we can educate each other about nifty tools that are out there that can be put to good pedagogical use. The discussion will go where you take it, so let's get started with some basics.

According to Webopedia open source is:

"Generically, open source refers to a program in which the source code is available to the general public for use and/or modification from its original design free of charge, i.e., open. Open source code is typically created as a collaborative effort in which programmers improve upon the code and share the changes within the community. Open source sprouted in the technological community as a response to proprietary software owned by corporations."

Some examples of open source software include Open Office, Mozilla's Firefox and Moodle, which we're using right now. Other free applications that aren't open source include Skype and the Web browser Opera.

We've set up a wiki to go along with this seminar where you can find resources, including links to applications. The amount of open source and other free applications continues to grow, so please add to this list and check back often.

Let's get started. I really liked how Richard set up the last seminar so I'm going to do something similar. We're going to start with some introductions. Tell us about yourself and if you have any experience using open source software (or other free applications) in an educational setting. There are some additional questions we're going to be looking at in separate discussion topics:

1.    What barriers do you see in using open source
    2.    What opportunities are created from using open source
    3.    What do you think the future holds
On the way home from work tonight I was listening to the CBC where they were talking about a Head Start program for First Nations, Inuit and Metis children. The report included  the importance of including cultural pride and understanding for these children, and how far this went in helping pre-schoolers be prepared to succeed and eventually be leaders. One girl in particular was being profiled and, because I had another discussion board going through my head, I wondered if she might blog (she was really amazing).

It took less than five seconds for my brain to do a shift over to our current discussion.  I'm wondering if anyone knows of educators working with students of aboriginal heritage and podcasting. I think that this would be a natural extension of the oral tradition inherent throughout aboriginal culture

Anyone have anything to add to this?

I?m not sure if this should be a new discussion topic or not, but here goes.

I've been working on a small study that has an element on teachers using technology to connect with each other. I presented at two conferences on this study and at both members of the audience said, "They will not use the discussion board." In several cases the individual raising this point said that he or she had tried to set up such boards and the community died quickly.

They said that teachers had no time, no interest, and no knowledge of how to use the technology.

I'm curious about the experiences of others. Have you been part of virtual communities for teachers? If so, did the communities thrive, stagnate or die?

Onlne communities offer people a chance to connect without the limitations that distance creates. In Saskatchewan, as in many places in Canada, new teachers and pre-service teachers often find themselves teaching in remote areas. An online community to connect them with each other as well as more experienced teachers would help them to feel less isolated and provide them with virtual colleagues.

I'm interested in whether anyone has tried this or knows of anyone else trying to set up something like this. Would it be used? Would there be any real benefits?