Posts made by Sarah Haavind

Given the fascinatingly open design of this course, I cannot stop myself from jumping in early as I sustain this feeling of..."here comes everybody!" blush Already, the dialogue is rich and potentially rigorous on the cutting edge of social movement, with the dilemma of privacy (personal & organizational silos) confronting our continuously rising standard for both convenience and progress ( with all the implied lacks of privacy) -- voiced by stated wishes above for auto-filling in information rather than having to answer many questions on the front end, and given voice also in questions about where all the access and information we might offer Hunch (at least somewhat consciously in this case, perhaps less so with the scenario of the mine-ability of our daily data traces) might go.

My contribution here, following JIm, Stephan and Merce, is to raise the consideration that the FB/twitter generation is less concerned about privacy than their, er, elders in general. What if the data-mining marketers know what I like? Isn't it a positive to be bombarded with ads for products I'm interested in rather than a random assortment, given their presence in our lives?
Okay, related topic, and then I will go back to sitting on my hands ;-) (aka my favorite strategy for facilitating online learning -- although it is not unlike playing poker -- you have to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em -- but I digress!) AND I just want to remind you that just because my posts are long and numerous this morning, does not mean you have to read them! I will never know. :-D

So my dad is a (poker and) stock trading buff. I grew concerned about the Flash "problem" with ipads and potentially other future apple products in the early days of our seminar here and wrote him (having apple stock) about whether it might be a good time to sell some apple -- aka. cut and run, right? :). I feel so guilty now.

I thought this group might be intrigued, or at least entertained by his response. He wrote:

Before I answer, there is some history with Steve Jobs' inclination not to make Apple products open systems. When Cary Lu was working on the first Macintosh book, he spent time with the development group. He felt that Steve was too intent on making the Apple product a closed system (use only Apple devices, such as their own printers even!). I later wrote about this in an editorial. Much of the technology of the Mac seemed to be borrowed from Xerox Palo Alto Research Center, where a lot of the original work on PC design was done (after Doug Engelbart's group moved there from SRI).
I received a lengthy response from one of the Mac developers. He said that the PARC ideas had really been co-developed by the Mac group (a lot of technology gets moved around by engineers talking to each other in the Valley, actually). And he said that the reason that Apple did not make their products more open is that their peripherals were so far superior to any others around that they felt it would be redundant technology. I think that was actually an expression of Steve Jobs attitude.
So this is not a new problem. But if Jobs wants to take Java out of the iPad, that could be a big mistake. Note that this is just a rumor at this point. Also, note that several other competitive pads will be coming out (or have already). One of them will run all the regular Windows programs, so it can be used like a computer, not just for playing with apps. That makes it more suitable for business users. Microsoft has come out with an iPhone competitor that the press actually likes. Microsoft is desperate to compete in the mobile sphere, so it is going to pour resources into doing this (they are already calling for Ballmer's firing, because the stock has done so poorly, and the technology seems to be shifting away from the familiar Wintel (Windows with Intel chips) computers. So I think Apple will face increasing competition.
But Jobs is very good at staying a step ahead in spite of all this. The link between the computer and TV is the next target, and I suspect that they will do very well (fighting against Google as well there).
So now to answer your question. The penetration of the iPhone and iPad technologies around the world is so far pretty small. So they have an opportunity to build up tremendous sales overseas as the dollar weakens -- increasing their profits. So Apple has a ways to run yet. There will definitely be ups and downs (not just up, as it has been recently). But I think it can go a little farther before the competition threat makes the stock go down. If anything happens with Jobs, that is another story. That would make the stock drop like a rock. So taking a little off the table soon might not be a bad idea. He looks pretty thin and frail.
Steve Jobs has a history of making design mistakes because he envisions computers more as a home device than a business tool. The Apple II was supposed to be for storing recipes and a few other things that never happened. Then Visicalc came along and made it a great tool for small businesses. The first Mac was supposed to be a home computer and didn't have enough memory. Quickly it became clear that users wanted to be able to work interchangeable between their home and office PCs. So the Mac group did an full out redesign project to add more memory to the Mac and make it more business-oriented. I met Steve at a meeting (in Napa Valley) where he gave a talk and told about their full-out effort to upgrade the Mac. He told me he was a big fan of Cary Lu, who wrote a number of editions of the Mac book (but unfortunately died of cancer a few years ago).
So now Steve's at it again! Business users want Java (as does everybody -- and especially the educational community and graphics designers, big Apple supporters). He may think you only need to play around with the Apple-approved apps on the iPad (because they are so superior to anything else), so he may be back to going the closed system route again. He always has been very stubborn, but maybe someone will talk him out of it this time.

Okay, back to work.
~Sarah

As for the poll, I haven't got mine yet -- but the holidays are coming. Also, on the subject of this poll, I was accused of being "over 40" (it's worse than that, just do the math on my previous post about "30 years ago" already engaged in this work) when I shared my view about the lack of keyboard "problem" at a face-to-face meeting. The 30-somethings in the room were not daunted by the on-screen keyboarding at all. Hummmm, I'm not convinced, but it made me curious. Having both an iphone and a Mac Air, I felt informed enough to form/share my opinions already -- but in the spirit of transparency, I admit, I haven't held an ipad yet...and I realize that app-development is nascent.
Sarah
Good question, Nick. Along with Derek's image suggested earlier, I picture small groups problem solving (engineering, physics, advanced math, say) with their one 'pad per group, but that everyone in the class can view all the 'pads in the room via LAN (picture "F3" like command) and thus easily share multiple approaches to reaching solutions or course corrections or progress -- thus collaboration operates on the small group level but also more easily in expanding circles among the small groups. Think knowledge creation (Bereiter, 2002 here: http://www.ikit.org/people/bereiter.html#publications) or Kafai, Peppelr, & Chapman, 2009: The Computer Clubhouse: Constructionism and Creativity in Youth Communities).

I have been recently involved in a number of projects where we are being invited by the RFPs to think back 30 years (not explicitly, but by implication) to early software creation (for Apple 11es, for example) and technology-based curriculum creation (like TERC's Global Lab or GLOBE) where interdisciplinary learning, the arts, and making connections are key to new STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) curriculum design. Where Global Lab used to mail out single use cameras to every site worldwide to take pictures for posting and sharing over the internet, now an indestructible ipad in the field can serve to gather data from USB attached probes (ph, temp, velocity), imaging, DRAWING, accessing GIS data about the field site -- imagine if when google Earth or maps replaces satellite images, it makes the older images of the same site accessible, and 50 years from now you could play the "slideshow" of any local site as part of those tools...

Then back at the lab or schoolsite, everything collected and accessed at the field site could be crunched and organized for analysis and presentation on a better appointed computer.

We have easy access now to so much data and information, it's time to share the power and strategies of new knowledge creation with everyone...which brings me back to the helpful exchange here on the story about ipads rejecting Flash and where Jobs might be pointing us with this initially puzzling move. Thanks to Derek and others who have contributed to that clarification! I am thinking it's a good move after all -- speaking of Apple 11e's, it's not like we haven't left useful stuff behind already, replacing them with so much better tools. Lower power usage is a good idea for so many reasons. Even if it creates some inequity in the near future, in the farther future, pushing in that direction will create more equity it seems to me now -- and meanwhile, more jobs for programmers who need to shift everything Flash to simpler HTML-based apps. :) I am beginning to frame the move as more like McDonalds and Starbucks selling fair trade coffee and making cups and other packaging out of recycled materials and soy rather than new paper and plastic....there is potential for big impacts and more equitable solutions in the long run.

Sarah
Lol over Derek's memory of not quite just the other day my challenge to blogs. Just to exercise my ability at nimble and flexibility I am trying for rigor in response using my mini-iPad aka iPhone, we will see.

Your visual of working groups, each with an iPad for surfing and perhaps a bit more -- recording data in tables, crunching, creating quick visuals for collective examination and analytical discussion: nice....but I keep running quickly into a limitation that a keyboard/laptop design would immediately solve. So why get the in-between hardware once you have your iPhone and your laptop? I liked Derek's Tigger analogy. Agreed...I think we agree :) and yes even I still WANT one.

OK my thumbs are exhausted. Back later for more on my laptop. Big smile -- nice to be back.