Posts made by Sarah Haavind

So I am perhaps jumping ahead a bit, but the Semantic Web ideas REALLY got my mind networks shimmering 8-) and THEN I discovered these two fascinating visualization sites, thanks to a LinkedIn colleague of mine whom some of you may know, Elizabeth Dorland. She pointed me to:

Map of Science home: http://scimaps.org/
(Try the BROWSE MAPS and have fun getting lost in amazing analytics visualizations toward semantic webbing, seems to me.)

And also, http://www.visualizing.org/
Scroll down and enjoy another "forest" of visualization adventures! Take your pick!!

...and so then, as seems to happen sometimes -- all at once new patterns emerge all over the place once you have the right glasses on, I discovered Linked In's new visualizing your network tool, have you seen it and/or tried it? I think this wil take you there...

I was struck by how much research is going to shift (morph?) once more of this is readily in place. WOW!
Sarah

Hi Richard,
Thank you for pointing the group to this set of guidelines or laws. They seem sensible, but who could possibly regulate them if they were actually posed as Internet "Laws" and if they cannot be guaranteed, what makes them laws or who makes anyone/any organization abide by them?

Also, it seems that the "cat is already out of the bag" as far as the electronic traces all of us leave throughout our days and the information that we post that reveals aspects of ourselves, AS WELL AS information about us that others post. Private information can already be pulled together in all sorts of ways useful to whomever might choose to gather it -- whether it be a commercial interest or just the way google and other search engines compile their search lists. With all the "privacy breaches" that have already happened, don't we have to assume identity "theft" of any kind could happen to any of us who use electronics anytime? Sure, we can take precautions, but no one can really fully protect themselves anymore, in my mind. The protection we have is more like the school of fish analogy, there are so many of us, what is the likelihood that any particular "fish" will be negatively affected. And the positive advantages of using all the technologies out-weigh the disadvantages. Our "most" private information, such as in the US, our "social security" number would be shared more cautiously, but even that is clearly out of the bag already too, if someone really wanted to find it, couldn't they?

So down the road, it seems that rather than try to hold onto something that is essentially already lost, a more useful focus would be to consider how to operate in an open world. Two things come to mind:

1. It seems credit card companies have already started adjusting by changing your credit card number for you at certain junctures automatically. Every once in a while, I get a new credit card with a new number for an existing account -- a moving target is more difficult to nail down. Perhaps that is the direction social security or other national identity number systems need to go. No one can have "just one" all their lives.

2. As for googling someone before hiring them as a decision-making tool: I think cases of public figures being brought down by private issues clarify some of the important questions we need to ask -- is it worth it to abandon true talent just because s/he exhibits weaknesses or failures on the personal side? What if political/personal attacks posted on blogs about someone of influence are the most visited websites about that person, so that all their quality contributions (published articles read only by scholars, for example) sink beneath the "National Enquirer"/human interest/intrigue/ stories? Do people have to behave perfectly their entire lives in order to make the positive contribution they CAN make in a newly un-private, google-able time? Well-known people are being destroyed by rumors and hype coming from blogs where character defamation seems to be the norm. It seems our search engine formulas work well for products, places and things, but not so constructively for people...? Does it really make sense to make a hiring decision based on what you can bring up on the first few pages of a google search about a person?

Hi Syl,
Thank you for the tip sheet. Here's what I am wondering -- if I "unsubscribe" will I not receive the daily emails from George/the facilitator team? I have so many emails from LAK11 in my email box right now from Introductions and Week 1 (which I have to try another approach to manage, I know, but not my question), that I cannot locate the "daily email" from yesterday and today (Days 2 and 3, since I joined). I did find the archive of all emails sent, but I'd like to know what these look like in my email box so I can "see" them coming in. Can you just copy and paste a message subject so I know what to look for?
Thanks!
Sarah
Angela points to the relationship between the strategy and algorithm behind data mining and the output. I've been thinking about Pandora and the Music Genome Project (free app), and how data are mined there for customizing music output based on identifying patterns of personal preferences. There are some excellent features there that are not present in Hunch, and others can probably add to my preliminary list --

• rather than be required to answer lots of questions about preferences you aren't interested in knowing more about, you choose the genre of music (topic) you want more information about, and get output/music with additional background information about the musician/artist as well as the music
  • you can just get started with what you want to explore right away, even though Pandora is also based on marketing and has a business plan that pushes music to consumers in hopes you will probably like and potentially want to buy (In fact, if you choose an artist, they will not just play that artist for you because they are hoping to expand your (consumer) interests).
  • the thumbs up/thumbs down response is broken down into a variety of musical attributes of the song to identify patterns of consistency across an individual's musical preferences. I find the "Why this song is playing" explanations fascinating -- much more sophisticated than amazon's report of why I get certain email announcements of new products/books from them
  • Pandora somehow mixes immersion/experience with new knowledge (new music) with marketing in a much more subtle and entertaining, pleasant, learner-centered way...

Hello!
Hudson is near Boston on the East Coast of the US. It is wintery, but not as much snow as I would like. As a winter sports enthusiast, I love the snow!

I am interested in this course because of the quality and focus of the content, and course design. I appreciate the opportunity to engage with such a wide and thoughtful community of online learning and practice and I look forward to doing the work and helping to co-construct something challenging and interesting on the bleeding edge of formalized-informal learning with such a diversity of erudite co-discussants and co-explorers.

In my mind, the course is already a success, I have learned so much just by downloading and exploring some of the Session 1 materials and content! Its ultimate success will unfold in the personal conversation I have with the weekly content and exchanges of ideas with other discussants. With so much potential (between the excellent content and ease of accessing it all and the variety and number of discussants/participants already signed up), it seems success will largely depend on my regulating my own engagement so as not to become overwhelmed, but to continue finding entry points throughout the duration of the live sequence of events and challenges (assignments).

I have been teaching (and learning!) as a construtivist/constructionist facilitator of online courses for adults since the 1990s, first at Concord Consortium, and now at Lesley University, both in Massachusetts, US.