Posts made by Jenny Mackness

Hi Peter - this is a wonderful story and has me wondering, reflecting on what the critical factors are in a Thai Wat that enable emersive/transformational learning.

Also Roy and I have been talking today about what the differences might be between emergent learning, open learning and transformational learning and that is soemthing I hope we will all be able to explore together in this forum and in the webinars.

You have writte:  I wouldn't call it emergent, as the type or subject of the learning wasn't previously identified.

Could you say a little more about what you mean by this. I'm not sure that I fully understand.

A big thank you Sylvia, for offering us this opportunity to share our work on emergent learning with the SCoPE community and others. Roy, Simone and I are looking forward to the webinars and discussion.

I have been wondering how people have experienced emergent learning and whether it is obvious to people when it has happened. What stories of emergent learning can we share and tell?

My most recent experience of emergent learning has been in the Modern & Contemporary American Poetry MOOC which I have just completed. I joined this MOOC principlally to see what an xMOOC was like and I had been told that this was a good one. I was surprised by how good it was, but the emergent learning came through the poetry itself. I never expected to find so many links between poetry and teaching and learning. I have written about my experiences in a recent blog post - http://jennymackness.wordpress.com/2013/11/15/capturing-the-learner-experience-in-modpo-and-open-learning-environments/

Looking forward to hearing about other people's emergent learning experiences.

Jenny

Hello Dawn - this is an interesting question that you have raised and one that I have been wondering about, i.e. where do measures of private/public begin or end. 

Personally - and I have no evidence or research to back me up on this (Janet, I'm sure will be able to help) - I do not see University discussion forums (I assume you mean within a University LMS) as public. If I were a student, I would expect anything I posted within my University course to be for University eyes only. I expect that is naive.

On the other hand a wise student or learner would, I think, never believe that anything posted is 'private', i.e. everything is public by default. 

But in all circumstances, I would expect common courtesy to prevail i.e. if we want to use data from discussion forums, then we need to ask the students if they agree to this.

Oh what a messy business!

Thanks so much for sharing this list of resources.

I am sorry to arrive so late to this discussion. I have been away. 

I am particularly interested in the issues surrounding ethics as I am not affiliated to an institution of Higher Education and therefore cannot be covered in my research by the umbrella of a University Ethics committee.

In some research that two colleagues and I are currently conducting we tried to make our ethical approach transparent. See - http://jennymackness.wordpress.com/rhizo14-research/

I'd be interested to know if you think we missed anything significant as we are about to start the second round of interviews. I still have to go through your resources carefully.

Finally I notice that you have referenced the AOIR Guidelines. My colleagues and I have just come across the attached which looks helpful too.

Now to catch up with the webinar recording!

Hi Scott - it's been great to have your contribution to these discussions. Thank you so much.

And yes - please do post comments to the special interest group site. Feel free to open a forum.

I will be a bit tied up with another project over the coming week - but really do hope that we can continue this discussion there.

Jenny