Discussions started by Jenny Mackness

Just to let everyone know that officially we are past our allotted time for this event - but discussion has been so animated and is still ongoing - so we are going to continue here until the end of this week  - Friday 6th December - after which we will move to the space for our special interest group. See http://scope.bccampus.ca/course/view.php?id=380

Anyone who would like to continue these discussions is welcome to join us there and/or contribute to our open wiki Footprints of Emergence

So there is still time to add your thoughts to these discussion threads - or add a footprint.

Jenny, Roy and Simone

As we have said elsewhere, Roy, Simone and I have spent many weeks, months, even years, discussing the language we use in our work on Footprints of Emergence. This week we posted our latest version of the critical factors we consider when drawing footprints of emergence. The content of this list (attached) is not different to the previous one, but it does include images. We thought these images might make the factors easier to use. What do you think?

Which of these images resonate with you? Which don't? And why?

Do you have any comments about the factors themselves and the way they have been organised into clusters?

We'd love to have your thoughts.

Jenny

Thanks to all who attended the webinar yesterday. Sylvia has posted the recording. This was our first attempt at going through the drawing process online - an interesting experience. In the past we have only run face-to-face workshops, so it was good to see that it can work online. The proof is in Lisa Lane's footprint, which she has posted on her blog and in the wiki and I have copied here below.

Lisa's blog post raises the question of when, why and how you might use footprints. Our focus has been to explore the ways in which emergent learning can be described and the factors which might influence emergent learning, but I think others might have more pragmatic uses for the footprints. It would be interesting to hear how people intend to use them, and if not, then why not.

POTDesigner Footprint

Hi Everyone,

In next Tuesday’s webinar (Tuesday, 26 November 18:00 GMT, 10:00 PST) we are hoping that everyone will have a go at drawing a footprint of emergence (See our open wiki for some examples).

To get the most out of the webinar, there are one or two things you might like to do beforehand.

1. Have in mind a course that you have designed, taught or experienced, that you would like to explore/reflect on in terms of its potential for emergent learning.

2. Have the following documents either printed out or downloaded onto your desktop:

• Palette 2.0.1.png. This is for printing out and drawing by hand. It can then be scanned and either uploaded to the wiki or sent to one of us for uploading.
  • Palette new template 2. Docx. This is for downloading to your desktop and working on, on your computer.
  • Mapping sheet 2013. You will need to refer to this as you draw, but we will also talk you through it.

3. UPDATE 25-11-13 - New Mapping Sheet for Visual Learners - Hot off the press!! This has the same content as the other mapping sheets, but includes images.

4. You may also find it helpful to watch the video that is on the wiki (8 mins)

If you have time to look at these documents before Tuesday that would be great, but don’t worry if you don’t have time. We will go through everything in the webinar.

Looking forward to continuing our discussion and seeing you in the webinar.

Jenny, Roy and Simone

(Edited by Sylvia Currie - original submission Thursday, 21 November 2013, 2:30 AM)

Attachment Palette 2.0.1.png

Hi everyone - my head is spinning with all the ideas that are coming out of these forums.

Just to let everyone know, but Phillip and Nick in particular (whom I have quoted) - I have just written and published a blog post about how the discussions here relate to other discussions I have been having this week - See http://jennymackness.wordpress.com/2013/11/23/lassoing-the-coltish-concepts-of-emergent-learning-and-moocs/ Credit for the title goes to Nick :-)

I am still trying to digest everything that has been posted, but if we are coming to the conclusion that emergent learning can't be 'lassoed '- then how do we, in concrete terms recognise/value it - or don't we need to?