Welcome to our January seminar!

Welcome to our January seminar!

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 0
Welcome to the Guiding the E-Researcher seminar! It's great that some of you have already popped into the forum to say hello and to let everyone know you'll be participating. I like that format of slowly gathering together as we approach the seminar start date. Let's continue to do this!

About our facilitator
Janet Salmons is an e-learning scholar-practitioner and wears many hats! She is owner of Vision2Lead, a consulting company involved in projects related to virtual community, and curriculum and faculty development for educational institutions, business and nonprofit organizations. She also teaches courses on team leadership at Capella University. In addition to a research interest and her recent book on conducting research interviews online, Janet has focused on online collaboration in the classroom and in professional life. Some of you will recall her excellent 2007 Collaborate Online SCoPE seminar.

About the seminar
This seminar is scheduled for 2 weeks.

Week 1. Research with Synchronous Online Interviews: Design Factors

Thinking about key questions such as:
  • Why collect data with synchronous online interviews?
  • What ethical issues must be addressed? What will the institutional or ethics reviewers want to know?
  • What sampling approach should I use?
Week 2. Preparing for the Online Interview
Consider important issues before beginning online interviews, including:
  • Should I use a structured, semi-structured or unstructured interview style?
  • How do decisions about the interview approach relate to the selection of communications technology?
During week 2 we are organizing synchronous events to demonstrate the use of two synchronous tools for online interviews:
  1. Elluminate - Monday, January 25
  2. Vidyo - Friday, January 29
More information about times and how to prepare will be posted soon!

Participating in SCoPE seminars
SCoPE seminars are free and open to the public, and registration is not required. You are welcome to come and go according to your schedule and interests. To contribute you will need to create an account on the SCoPE site -- a quick process. Are you new to SCoPE or wondering how to manage your participation? Check this resource.

If you have any questions about participating in SCoPE don't hesitate to ask here in the forum, or get in touch with me directly:
Sylvia Currie, SCoPE Coordinator
scurrie@bccampus, skype:webbedfeat, 250-318-2907