Barriers to e-learning in developing countries

Re: Barriers to e-learning in developing countries

by Nalin Abeysekera -
Number of replies: 7

Income distribution also I think one facet of problem in the developing countries like sri lanka. In our country 40% of the income consumed by the 10% of people while 10% of income consumed by 40% of the people. Once you are in the village taking about e-Learning some might laugh at you ….(25% of the people don’t have electricity) .But as  I mentioned earlier out literacy rate is 90% despite of some hardships. I think it is our responsibility that to create awareness of e-Learning specially towards  children. Because it will affects to the efficiency as well as effectiveness of them in future.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

In reply to Nalin Abeysekera

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Nalin,
One way of educating the public to be aware can be done via hands on e-learning courses. However, what incentives can you offer those who live under poor economic situations to take the courses?

In reply to Dr. Nellie Deutsch

by violeta cautin -

I guess people under poor economic conditions have so many things to worry for that it would be difficult to get them to enter e-learning. If you do not have a computer at home, what's the point? People will care if they see a practical point to it. 

Now, middle class is different because they understand that there's a point in education. I think e-learning should be demystified because it's regarded as inferior in quality, at least here.

In reply to violeta cautin

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Public libraries and community centers can provide computers for the public. Any updates on how this is being done globally?

by Nalin Abeysekera -

In Open University system students coming from that background can use PCs at our regional centers without paying. In Universities also they are providing facilities for underprivileged students because of the concept of free education. And now in Sri Lanka there is a trend to focus on poor students ….your contribution towards this is always welcome!!!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Nalin,
I would like to contribute my know how and skills to teachers and students taking online courses.

by Nalin Abeysekera -

Nellie,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thanks for your kind words. I will look for the possibilities and I think in the future you can contribute to the development of e-Learning in a constructive way.

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Nalin,
Just let me know how, where, and when and I will be there. wink