Expressions of Interest -- BC Campus Proposal on Authentic Assessment in Online Environments

Expressions of Interest -- BC Campus Proposal on Authentic Assessment in Online Environments

by Doug Hamilton -
Number of replies: 0

Greetings Colleagues,

Following up on my update at last Friday's UCIPD meeting at TRU, I thought I'd let you know that RRU is seeking expressions of interest from our UCIPD colleagues who might want to contribute to the development of a course on Authentic Assessment and Evaluation in Online Environments. This proposal is in response to the BC Campus Online Program Development Fund RFP.

The proposal focuses on the development and delivery of a new online course that will gives BC educators an overview of how to design and use authentic forms of assessment in online learning environments. It is intended to meet the needs of both experienced and new course instructors who are interested in making online learning experiences more meaningful and relevant to their students. Faculty developers and instructional designers may also find this course insightful. The course represents a natural progression from more introductory courses such as BC Campus’s Teaching an Online Course and Royal Roads University’s Facilitating Online Learning (ISW Online.)

Participants will learn how to design courses that focus assessment on the real-life applications of skills and knowledge, and at the same time, shift away from using more traditional measures such as exams and tests. Using practical, hands-on activities, participants will apply the key principles of authentic assessment to an actual course design of their choice. As they design their courses, they will learn how to align course outcomes, content and assessment strategies to provide a more learning-centred approach.

We are looking for partners who are interested in serving on an external review advisory team or who might wish to provide case studies of authentic assessment approaches from their universities or colleges. Please indicate your interest by emailing me at doug.hamilton@royalroads.ca and I can share more specific information with you about the proposal.

Cheers,

Doug . . .