Live Session: Digital Tattoo Project

Chat Transcript from Live Session: Digital Tattoo Project

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 0
Dec 11, 2009 Digital Tattoo Project
Moderator: Bonnie Johnstone
Facilitators: Cindy Underhill and Trish Rosseel

Note: I did some minor editing. We had an issue part way through the session where comments were posted only to moderators, and then there was a discussion about why this was happening. I made the relevant posts visible and removed posts about the issue. This transcript doesn't include conversations that took place before 11:00 a.m. PST. Sylvia.

---------------------
Moderator (Bonnie J): Hi Terry, welcome to the session

---------------------
Sylvia Currie: Hi Terry. I hear it's a wee bit cold in Athabasca

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: Hi Terry, good to see you here.

---------------------
Terry Anderson: Yes, it is freezing.... Hi Jo Ann!

---------------------
Moderator (cindyu): sorry Trish - added an extra slide to give wider context

---------------------
Moderator (cindyu): forgot to mention

---------------------
Moderator (Bonnie J): Hi Peter, welcome to the session, we've just got started

---------------------
Sylvia Currie: Trish, if there's a URL you can post in the text chat we could see it that way (if not, no worries!)

---------------------
Moderator (Trish): Problematic scenario URLs:

---------------------
Moderator (Trish): http://www.straight.com/node/215116

---------------------
Moderator (Trish): http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2007/10/01/bc-borderguards.html

---------------------
Moderator (Trish): http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/06/02/bc-templeton-student-facebook-hit-list-charges.html

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: Thanks Trish

---------------------
Sylvia Currie: This is Me project: http://thisisme.reading.ac.uk/

---------------------
Sylvia Currie: Feel free to grab the mic as well (click on the hand icon to grab our attention)

---------------------
Moderator (Bonnie J): When you took it to the kids, was it news to them that they had a public/private face? The ones who shared everything, were they aware of consequences?

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: I'm planning a similar session for teaching assistants and tutor markers professional development day in January. I plan to share your digital tattoo site with them because I think it's very effective

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: However, we also plan to talk about the use of teaching tools and research such as WebCT, RefWorks, Zotero, etc. Did you do any explorations in this area?

---------------------
nancy macdonald: Downes and connectivists would argue to be aware of the presence you provide but to actively connect within networks to learn.

---------------------
Terry Anderson: Thanks

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: Yes, Trish, that's right

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: Our session is intended to raise awareness among grad students both for undergrads and for their own practice

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: thanks

---------------------
nancy macdonald: AUPs but the battle is raging between full access for learning and the lack of awareness of privacy considerations

---------------------
glen: I teach a class in basic ICT Literacy for professinal teachers. I always encourage to use the web anonymously until they have the skill to control their public profile.

---------------------
Braddo: I use MITs http://personas.media.mit.edu/ to show students/staff how they are viewd byt the web

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: If conference proceedings are published -- does a person have rights about that is posted -- since lots seems to go out -- including pictures -- that are not cleared. Is that something to caution about - or is it just the norm?

---------------------
Moderator (cindyu): hi Braddo - we used the MIT piece to kick off discussion last week.

---------------------
Moderator (Trish): Braddo, personas is a really neat tool. Shows a lot of what is there, but also waht is missing

---------------------
nancy macdonald: Yes, great and helpful project. Need to educator teachers about the issues as well. Too much blocking because the education piece isn't strong enough , yet.

---------------------
glen: I also recommend that once they have ICT Literacy skills there is an obligation for them to contribute to various dialogs as public intellectuals.

---------------------
Braddo: EXactly--it shows students that they need to be proactive about their IDs

---------------------
Peter Rawsthorne: Hi Braddo good to see you here

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: Yes I agree. Thanks

---------------------
glen: I'll try to repost my comment I recommend that once people particularly teachers have ICT Literacy skills there is an obligation for them to contribute to various dialogs as public intellectuals.

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: Have any of you set up ground rules with students on the use of online tools in teaching? I was wondering if anyone had some good examples that provide information about privacy for the tools, encouraging respectful behaviour, perhaps allowing aliases to encourage open discussion, etc.

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: Glen -- I think that it is wonderful that ICT Literacy skills are shared -- but I think is a matter of how people can do this -- and to what degree they have time.

---------------------
Braddo: I teach attitudes, rather than skills, to my gr. 6-9 students

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: I realize that ground rules for discussion are often used but I wonder if anyone has been specific about online discussion, whether realtime or asynchronous

---------------------
Grant Gregson: Are you currently working with the art or music department at UBC with regards to publishing and intellectual propery. Do you encourage them to use a Creative Commons license?

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: I think many people have to build their confidence about using Creative Commons license and Wiziq, etc. I would like more refined contributions to be available to all.

---------------------
Braddo: I recommend students keep NO private spaces online e.g. on FB, and to post only things that they would say in the middle of the general store.

---------------------
glen: There was an interesting comment on the Digital Tattoo questionaire regarding never posting something that you would not want your mother to read. I recommend that people never post anything that they would not want posted on the staff room bulletin board.

---------------------
glen: I agree that self-censorship can be the harshest

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: I like that Elgg systems for that -- and I like pockets of communication, but most things seem to be put online quite readily -- maybe that's the 50%.

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: I'm always surprised how many PDFs that I can find on the web marked "draft" or "confidential"

---------------------
Terry Anderson: Gotta run, thanks for this and good luck.

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: And, with the Wayback Machine, anything that used to be on the web is still there - the Internet never forgets!

---------------------
Moderator (Trish): Great point, Sylvia! I found one of those just the other day and continue to be surprised by it.

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: Hi Sylvia -- there are a lot of things I find that I did not know were there. And I'm pretty self-monitoring.

---------------------
nancy macdonald: Sorry. I have to run. Thanks for this. I do reference and recommend the Digitaltattoo site to NS teachers.

---------------------
glen: Thanks gotta run. I will be referring others to the Digital Tatto site. Great work!

---------------------
Moderator (Bonnie J): Thanks Nancy

---------------------
Moderator (Trish): Bye Nancy, Glen...

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: Trish & Cindy, I look forward to hearing more about the faculty session that you have planned for February. Maybe I can catch you off line later

---------------------
Moderator (Trish): Sounds good, Sylvia. Let's stay in touch.

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: Thanks for all your work on this area. I like the comments from the group today.

---------------------
Tod Anderson SD: Thanks fo the great site. I'll be using some of it as I work with parents in our school district.

---------------------
Braddo: I think there are two parallel discussions: 1.) a person's epectations of privacy on the web; 2.) the nature of intellectual property

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: Hi Braddo -- I think a third is -- "what we have control of or not -- even if we have intellectual property rights on something."

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: I agree about the developmental levels -- and we have to advocate for students and help them with some damage control.

---------------------
Moderator (Bonnie J): and as we make mistakes as we grow, we hope that we will be forgiven for them

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: Our friends will forgive -- but there are other people who may judge.

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: I agree that students moving from the personal to the professional online identity will be an interesting phenom in this context.

---------------------
Sylvia Currie: That's a good point, Bonnie. We need to decide that some of the bad stuff we see should just be forgiven!

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: Thanks a lot, I have to go. It was a very worthwhile hour.

---------------------
Moderator (cindyu): I agree - hope the judgemental part will evolve as we learn to see ourselves online (as others see us).

---------------------
Braddo: I don't thnk the issue is the how people use the web, whatever their developmental level. The issue is arises from a misunderstanding of what is private and public space. We can argue that the rules of social behaviour online are not yet written.

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: That's a good point, Braddo

---------------------
Jo Ann Hammond Meiers: Thanks -- bye for now.

---------------------
Moderator (Trish): Interesting point, Braddo...is there much private space...

---------------------
Moderator (Bonnie J): Let's continue talking about this at http://scope.bccampus.ca/mod/forum/view.php?id=5031

---------------------
Braddo: I'm assitant head at a small independent school on Bowen. I'd be interested in talking to you further about how this plays out in K12

---------------------
Grant Gregson: Do you have any guest speakers that would be available to discuss the Digital Tattoo project and digital identity at a faculty workshop in February at Emily Carr University? Please contact me at ggregson@ecuad.ca

---------------------
Braddo: Can we follow up by email/Skype?

---------------------
Braddo: boc@go.islandpacific.org

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: Re. positive comments, there was a paper in the V.Sun recentely on a new student to UBC that used Facebook to get 1000(?) people to attend her birthday party at Science World

---------------------
Moderator (cindyu): sure - email cindy.underhill@ubc.ca

---------------------
Sylvia Currie: Thanks everyone!

---------------------
Sylvia Roberts: Thanks Cindy & Trish. and Bonnie. This was great.

---------------------
Moderator (cindyu): Thanks everyone!

---------------------
Grant Gregson: Thanks everyone.

---------------------
Braddo: Thanks!

---------------------
Sylvia Currie: Great moderating, Bonnie :-)

---------------------
Moderator (Bonnie J): Thanks everybody! see you next time!

---------------------
Moderator (cindyu): yes, thanks Bonnie!

---------------------
Moderator (Trish): bye