Active Learning in the Trades

Active Learning in the Trades

by Deirdre Bonnycastle -
Number of replies: 4

Heather Ross suggested adding a thread specific to trades education.

In reply to Deirdre Bonnycastle

Re: Active Learning in the Trades

by Heather Ross -
Thanks Deirdre.

I posted under the techniques section, but I'm going to repost it here.

From Re: Active Learning Techniques by hmross on Monday, September 10, 2007 11:45:00 AM:
he Parts Person apprenticeship program through the Saskatchewan Institute of Applied Science and Technology (SIAST) is a 3 level apprenticeship program. Before I started, Level 1 was offered offered at a distance through print materials and really had no active learning. Since then we have developed all of Level 2 and some of Level 3 for delivery online.

We developed activities under the category of "At Your Workplace". Learners are given specific tasks to complete in their workplace under the supervision of some in their trade with more experience (co-worker, supervisor).

We created online forms that replicate the electronic forms they will encounter when placing an online order in their workplace.

Level 3 is cohort based so we've included synchronous and asynchronous communication and collaborative activities throughout using tools such as Gliffy and Google Docs.

A similar program exists for preemployment learners (as opposed to apprentices). The delivery is face-to-face and those courses have always been a split between lecture and lab work. Starting this year, the learners will work in groups of 3-4 researching topics determined by the instructors. Each group will then present their findings to the other groups. Instructor lead lectures are being reduced dramatically.

We're also setting up private communities in Ning to connect apprentices, pre-employement students, and experienced parts people.

by Deirdre Bonnycastle -

Michael Allen talks about designing elearning that focuses on behaviour change. https://admin.adobe.acrobat.com/_a227210/p98681710/

Work Learning catalog http://www.work-learning.com/catalog/

by Heather Ross -
As I mentioned earlier, I've put together a brief overview of what we're doing with our apprentices in the parts trade using VoiceThread. You can see it, and comment on it, here.