Welcome to our December seminar!

Welcome to our December seminar!

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 4
Welcome to the Digital Identity seminar!

About our facilitators
Trish Rosseel is the Teaching and Learning Librarian at University of British Columbia where she provides strategic leadership, direction and support for the library's instructional programs, services and resources.

Cindy Underhill is the Learning Resource Designer at the UBC's Office of Learning Technology.

About the seminar
This Digital Identity seminar is loosely organized into weekly themes:
  1. Us
  2. Our learners
  3. Our institutions
On Friday, December 11th at 11:00 a.m. PST (check your time zone) join us for a synchronous session in Elluminate focusing on the Digital Tattoo project that Trish and Cindy are involved with.

Participating in SCoPE seminars
SCoPE seminars are free and open to the public, and registration is not required. You are welcome to come and go according to your schedule and interests. To contribute you will need to create an account on the SCoPE site -- a quick process. Are you new to SCoPE or wondering how to manage your participation? Check this resource

Sylvia Currie, SCoPE Coordinator
In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Welcome to our December seminar!

by Cindy Underhill -
Hi,

Thanks for the introduction, Sylvia.

Trish and I will be tag teaming in the discussion over the next few weeks. This morning, she'll be logging on to lay the groundwork for a short, interesting (we hope) activity to set the stage for our discussion. I'll check in again later today.

I'm looking forward to sharing what we're learning in our work with the digital tattoo project as well as hearing about your observations and experiences grappling with the issues around digital identity and (to some extent) the broader issues related to digital literacy and fluency.

All for now,
Cindy
In reply to Cindy Underhill

by Julia Hengstler -
Hi. Just joined & am looking forward to this. I am an Educational Technologist & Instructor in the Faculty of Education @ Vancouver Island University in Nanaimo, BC. I'm very interested in what you will have to say. I think this is a very important topic myself and luckily my Dean has supported my work. I have developed a set of presentations on Digital Footprints for grade 6-7, high school, year 3-4 university, teachers in service & university faculty. I'm currently developing another for parents--because "turn off the computer" is not a sufficient response for students experiencing cyberbullying.
In my view, one of the biggest hurdles that inhibits people from understanding the issues of digital footprints in the Web 2.0 world is that they don't really understand the underlying mechanics of how their information is distributed across various networks, and its persistence in those other places even after the person's original post may be deleted.

Looking forward to hearing you and everyone else who participates,
Julia
In reply to Cindy Underhill

by Wendy Kraglund-Gauthier -
Hello Cindy, Trish, et al.
I am an instructional designer with StFX University and I am also a doctoral student from the University of South Australia, researching professors' transitions to online classrooms. The concept of digital identity shall be an interesting part of my work.

And as an aside, in a previous life I did some studies in Internet marketing and customer management systems (think scan codes, the cashier asking for your postal address, the tracers on online coupons, etc). Online privacy is a concern. And don't even get me started on the conversations we must have with our pre-service teachers about Facebook, myspace, Twitter, etc! tongueout

It is fascinating how little bits of seemingly unrelated data can be compiled to construct an identity... as Activity #1 demonstrates!

I look forward to the session discussions!
Wendy
In reply to Wendy Kraglund-Gauthier

by Cindy Underhill -
Hi Wendy and Julia,

Given the interests you have both shared, I thought you might want to know about some resources that we developed (related to the digital tattoo project) for a couple of specific audiences here in Vancouver:

1. Resources for teacher candidates in the Faculty of Education at UBC:
http://www.slideshare.net/digitaltattoo/digital-identity-for-student-teachers
2. Resources for grade 9 class on the topic:
http://www.slideshare.net/digitaltattoo/digital-tattoo-whats-yours

In both cases, the idea was to present a few relevant case studies and a set of questions for small group discussion. Following the learning design for the website, we don't want to be prescriptive, but rather have people think about their own level of comfort with online sharing, etc.

With the teacher candidates, we also wanted them to explore the case studies from 3 different perspectives: as individuals, as practicing teachers and as part of the larger profession of teaching. Looking at the issues through multiple lenses offered an opportunity to see some of the "sticky" places - where many different interests need to be negotiated and addressed.

Look forward to hearing more about your observations and your research!

Cindy