Learning Outcomes & how to evaluate the more abstract forms of learning

Re: Learning Outcomes & how to evaluate the more abstract forms of learning

by Sylvia Riessner -
Number of replies: 0
When I work with new instructors, I try to emphasize how important it is that they decide, before they start teaching, what level of learning they hope to achieve. What does the student need to utilize the core content successfully?

How will I know that what I set as a learning outcome has occurred (or will occur)? I would never use a fuzzy outcome statement like "deepened understanding". I would try and clarify first what I mean by the phrase and then try to identify the path I think learners should follow to get to that point. And linking learning outcomes to evaluation tools and learning activities is essential as far as i can see

A tool I came across last year that I found helpful is found on the APA website http://www.apa.org/ed/new_blooms.html#. Skip past the image with clickable links that don't work and scroll down to the Cognitive Taxonomy Circle.

I found it useful to think about the kinds of products and activities I might use, rather than dealing in vague statements of what I'd like them to learn.

S