Welcome to our October seminar!

Re: Welcome to our October seminar!

by Susan Lister -
Number of replies: 2
Hi All,
In the way of introductions... I'm Sue Lister from Northern Ontario - I have a background in Multimedia, Online Learning, Teacher Training and as of late I have been involved in international education contracts.

I'm usually a SCoPE lurker...but this session has me wondering a few things. Perhaps I just have more time on my hands so I'm delving in more than I usually do.

Are there specific objectives for our time together over the next three weeks? I see in the welcome it says, "to introduce selected sections of the Art of Teaching video and .... to extend the discussion to deeper levels" but I wonder if this could be narrowed down somewhat. Do the VIU folks have specific goals they are trying to accomplish? As a result of participating over the next three weeks what should participants expect?

At first I thought we were going to critique the "Art of Teaching" videos or the ISW methodologies based on our own experiences or knowledge but after the Elluminate session and subsequent discussion board postings I realize that's not the case.

I'm just trying to decide if I'm a good fit as a participant based on the expected outcomes.

Just wonderin'
Sue
In reply to Susan Lister

by neil SMITH -
Hi Sue - Thanks for the comments, and welcome in from northern Ontario!

I understand your point about lack of articulation of specific outcomes for the session, but we decided to keep the sessions purposefully open - inviting people to pick up on the themes most important to them, the learning outcomes being more"expressive" in nature. At the end of the three weeks our hope is that participants would have reflected on their own instruction, picked up some ideas about how to build on their existing practice, and importantly thrashed about in a good debate about best instructional decisions for different practice.

While the ISW BOPPPS provides the organizing framework, we find in our sessions the most powerful learning comes from peoples' sharing of experiences that build on parts of the DVD that they find most relevant.

So - we are open... which, by the way, does not preclude our critique of the DVD. That we would really welcome as well, given that we are midpoint in the development of a second DVD in the series based on Inquiry.

Thanks Sue - hope you are able to join us Monday once again. - Neil
In reply to neil SMITH

by Susan Lister -
Thanks Neil,

That clears things up. smile

I hope to be available on Monday - will 'see' you then.

Sue