International Involvement

International Involvement

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 3

Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers wrote,

I would like to see more international involvement

I'm bringing this request to a new thread because international involvement IS very important in SCoPE. What are some activities and discussion topics that we should be considering?

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: International Involvement

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Dear Sylvia and All SCoPE members,

Appologies for length -- but I'm excited about this example of international work. I do think that joining both national and international networks of educators, that could explore and probe into new fronties via SCoPE topics, has an exciting feel. Regarding international online teaching and technology, the list could probably be endless.
I writing about a suggestion here -- helping SCoPE members become expert educational podcast/video makers. These media production could be developed to teach on mass through educational online videos -- and these would in turn become part of a reservoir -- available to people in open access systems around the world.

Here are a few thoughts about the posible expansion of use of technology in one project -- Amarok Society, a Canadian Charity.

Recently I had the great pleasure to meet the Munro family -- who I met online first. Althought Tanyss Munro is a principle from BC, Canada, she and her family spent two years teaching the poorest people of Bangladesh. They are in my mind -- heroic. To me, they are so inspiring educators who bring hope. I hope I will be learning and participating in their work at some level for a long time.

When I mentioned to Tanyss Munro, the mother of this family, that I thought the use of technology could be explored more -- online podcasts or videos made by educators and learners who like to teach, I thought that the reservoir could be amazing and expand teaching to these Bangladesh teachers. I thought these learning opportunities could be multiplied to many countries. As well, technology and educators could help the "teachers that are the mothers who teach other mothers and children, to learn more extensive English and Math -- and to learn quickly, because you can play back many times.

I really like the model that the Munro family is using in the Amorak project, -- multiplying teachers through teaching mothers to be teachers and, then, to have them teach children. Even peer teaching (tutoring) begins to happen. For example an bright 11 year old girl who lives in a "hovel" of a place in the poorest slums of Bangladesh, reached a certain level and began to teach others.

For those who want to know more about this Canadian Charity but international project, the Amarok Society is at
http://amaroksociety.ning.com/profiles/message/listInbox

In reply to Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Hi Jo Ann,
I am glad that I you are still involved with the Amarok Society. BTW Tanyss has written a book on the mother-teacher initiative. I think volunteering to help learners that cannot afford what we can is a great idea. SCoPE would be an ideal community to help recruit members to teach English and other subjects to the mothers in Bangladesh.

In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Christine Horgan -

Jo Ann:

Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers wrote,

I would like to see more international involvement

I'm bringing this request to a new thread because international involvement IS very important in SCoPE. What are some activities and discussion topics that we should be considering?

I would really like to know a lot more about how my counterparts in othe countries are handling e-learning....I'm particularly interested in how those in developing countries are dealing with their challenges.

I have no specific e-learning topics in mind, though...I'm just curious and open to learning more about pretty much anything (not sure if that means I'm easy to please or plain lazy)

Cheers, Chris