CeLC Collaboratory: Limitations of web forums

CeLC Collaboratory: Limitations of web forums

by Geoffrey Glass -
Number of replies: 5

Welcome to the Marginalia sandbox. Please create an account on SCoPE and log in so that you can participate.

Please contribute to the discussion and give us something to annotate by creating a forum post. We developed Marginalia in order to enhance online discussion, so I suggest describing a problem or limitation you have encountered with online forums.

For example, I find that forum posts contain many extremely valuable pieces of information. My anecdotal experience is that in many cases people readily write thoughtful arguments and useful information in forums, but are less likely to contribute that same information to, say, a wiki. But unlike wikis (or even blogs) forums do not structure their contents for easy categorization or retrieval. Even when I recall seeing an interesting post, I often have great difficulty finding it again later.

If you prefer (or if you have never run into any problems with forums), consider writing about how you have used them in education, whether as an instructor or a learner.

We are genuinely interested in what you have to say about forums, but of course you are here to try out Marginalia. Use the drop-down list at the top of the forum page to show the margin, then experiment with creating annotations. Things to try:

• Try making overlapping highlights, then hover over them with the mouse to see which margin notes they go with
  • Click on an annotation you already created to edit it
  • Use the drop-down menu at the top right to display annotations by only a particular user, or by all users, or to hide the margin
  • Create the same margin note more than twice so that Marginalia can autocomplete it
  • Click on the Summary link at the top right to visit the summary page
  • Search the summary page, or filter it by clicking on the hand icon that pops up next to user names and other text in the results list
  • Use the quote buttons beneath forum posts and beside notes in the margin
  • Try making an annotation private (other collaboratory participants can check whether they can see it)
  • Click on the Atom feed button at the bottom of the summary page and see what Firefox (which isn't really a feed reader) does with it.

After this session, you may wish to visit Marginalia's home page at www.geof.net/code/annotation/, where there are screencasts demonstrating Marginalia's features.

In reply to Geoffrey Glass

Re: CeLC Collaboratory: Limitations of web forums

by Wendy Burton -
I use discussions intensively in the online courses I teach. I encourage students to make reference to previous discussion comments, but not to just say "I agree with X". So this feature of annotating might be useful.

I wonder, though, if it might get too multi-layered for ease of reading.

by Jody Baker -

Geoffrey Glass wrote,

show the margin

Via Geoffrey Glass, who noted,

If you find the margin text too small, use Ctrl-+ to make it bigger (Ctrl-- makes it smaller; on Mac use the Command key instead). You may then want to reload the page to fix annotation alignment.

Yes, I already had to do that

by Wendy Burton -
We are wondering if one could annotate using sound instead of typed text?

by Cindy Underhill -

Geoffrey Glass wrote,

But unlike wikis (or even blogs) forums do not structure their contents for easy categorization or retrieval