Second Life Gaming & Learning Group Mind Map (GaLiSL)

Second Life Gaming & Learning Group Mind Map (GaLiSL)

by George Kurtz -
Number of replies: 9

Hi Everyone,

I have posted a copy of the mind map for our group.  Please review and send me your thoughts and comments.  Please keep in mind, that the GaLiSL mind map is only a subset of our over all mind map for Virtual Information Technologies.  It has over 200 components and hundreds of links to web sites, articles and books.  It is a work in progress that will never be fully completed.  I update it about every week.  We are building it for a research and reference tool.  The Virtual IT mind map can be downloaded and viewed from our Google Group web site.  If you would like me to walk you through either of the mind maps please email me and we can schedule a conference call.

Also, if you have component or link to a web site, article, book etc. that is not on the maps, please email it to me.

Regards,

George Kurtz

The GaLiSL Group

In reply to George Kurtz

Re: Second Life Gaming & Learning Group Mind Map (GaLiSL)

by Dan O'Reilly -

Hi George,

Got the MindMap viewer and downloaded two files GaLiSL Mind Map.mmap and Virtual Information Technologies - Resource Map - V2 - 4-8-07.mmap .  However, two questions before I spend too much time reading through documentation for an answer.  Can one turn of the red "X's" (they are a bit annoying)?  How does one activate the hypertext links to the reference material?

Thanks,
Dan

In reply to Dan O'Reilly

by George Kurtz -

Hi Everyone,

It appears there is an Microsoft IE problem with downloading files from Google Groups.  Our group admin is looking into the problem.  For those using Firefox, you should not have any problem. 

However for those that do have problems downloading the file, please email me and I will email you the file.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

George Kurtz

In reply to George Kurtz

by Dan O'Reilly -

Hi All,

Finally got the MindMap viewer to work properly.  Looks like it was an IE problem as George mentions.  Anyway, you need to get the MindMap viewer and the files that George has listed.  This programme is GREAT, a real wealth of resources and links.  Thanks George.

Dan

In reply to Dan O'Reilly

by George Kurtz -

Hi Everyone,

No solution yet.  We're still looking. However, the mind map can now be viewed through IE or with the viewer.  Check out the following article

Regards,

George Kurtz

Free MindManager Map Viewer for Internet Explorer

http://rcd.typepad.com/rcd/2005/09/free_mindmanage.html

In reply to George Kurtz

by Therese Weel -
This is awesome George!

I have spent some time now looking at your main site and the mindmap.  Found all sorts of interesing places and was able to put them into context easily because of the mindmap.

For those of you who haven`t tried it yet. Mindmanager is a good tool for making sense of complexity and is well worth a download.  http://www.mindjet.com/us/

By viewing the mind map within MindManger you can navigate around the brain of George and the other group members.  This is a truely excellent resource for wrapping your head around these topics.

Again, here is the  link to the google group -  http://groups.google.com/group/gaming-and-learning-in-sl

I`m attaching the mindmap to this post - so you can download it directly

George, thanks so much for coming by and sharing this.

Therese
In reply to Therese Weel

by E.A. Draffan -
Thank you so much Therese - the mindmap is a course in itself and I must make time to explore it all  smile  Thank you George for all the links and notes - just fantastic. 

On the subject of mindmaps, (Tony Buzan appears to have registered the term 'mind maps'  so I join the words!). I use them with many students and have a wide range of programs as I find not everyone can cope with the  MindManager menus and buttons.  They are so numerous as to be confusing to some.  Inspiration and Kids Inspiration are good options for children and MindGenius went into many UK further educational colleges when there was an agreement with a supplier.  An incredibly easy mapping program for just making some main points  is Mindfull

There are also lots of free ones and I have an account with Mindmeister but do not seem to be able to find the one related to this discussion!

Back to gaming and work!

In reply to E.A. Draffan

Mindmeister map

by Sylvia Currie -
E.A. asks about the Mindmeister map. The map we're building alongside this seminar discussion is available here:
http://www.mindmeister.com/maps/show/92740

To edit the map send Therese a quick note by email and she will sent you in invitation: Therese@datadesigns.ca
In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Mindmeister map

by David Brear -

Sylvia I sent Therese a quick note and I am still waiting for an invitation. Thanks,

Dave :)

In reply to George Kurtz

by George Kurtz -

Hi Everyone,

We have found out what's causing the problem but not why.  For some reason, the file extension is being dropped.  If you add ".mmap" to the end of the file name, in the "save as" menu, the file will download properly.  You'll notice the file extension upload properly.

If anyone knows why IE is dropping the file extension upon download, please let me know.

Regards,

George Kurtz