Virtual Science

Virtual Science

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 3

Everyone is invited to attend this webinar organized through the BCcampus online communities. It is organized as part of a series on Virtual Science.

Friday April 13th at 12:00pm PDT
Remote and Simulated: The New Laboratory in Town
Presenter: Dr. Samia Khan, University of British Columbia
In addition to hands-on labs, we can engage our students in processes of scientific
inquiry with simulations, animations, collaboratories, virtual reality, and
remote experimentation.  This webinar explores how remote and simulated
experiences can be designed to contribute to our pedagogical goals in
science.  How can these technologies be integrated in science instruction?
What is their potential value?  When are they preferred to hands-on
experiences? 
This webinar, via Elluminate Live,  is available at no charge at the following URL. 
You will be asked to join the Online Community if you are not already a member.
http://community.bccampus.ca/expo?go=1516860

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Virtual Science

by Therese Weel -
A very happy coincidence that this discussion is taking place while we are doing this conference.  Thanks for telling us about it Sylvia.

I signed up for it the process was quick.  There is a reminder feature and your account is defaulted to receive a weekly update from them.

I invite those who will be attending  to come back here to share their thoughts and what they discovered.

T

by Sylvia Currie -
The session with Samia Khan yesterday at the BCcampus online community was interesting. She talked about remote access to science labs as well as virtual labs and how to engage students in the process of scientific inquiry with simulations and virtual reality.

The Elluminate recording is now available. The session description and link to the archive can be found here:
http://community.bccampus.ca/expo?go=1539865

Viewing content in the BC eLearning Marketplace and Expo site requires a login but membership is free and open to everyone.

by Therese Weel -
I've had a look at the ellumninate recording as I missed the original session.

Samia's discusses simulated virtual labs for science students and provides some insight into the value of them compared to traditional science experiments.

Whereas a recipe type science experiment will give you one try and one result a virtual experiment allows you to get multiple results, relflect, compare and share that information with others.

She gives several examples of projects and provides the results of practical real world uses of these tools.  She also gives voice to the drawbacks of virtual experiments such as missing out on the experience of have an experiment fail because of soap residue in your test flask.

It was good to have the rewind button to better absorb the ideas she  presented.