Continuing Our Freire Dialogue

Continuing Our Freire Dialogue

by Elizabeth Wallace -
Number of replies: 0

Thank you to everyone who joined in our conversation about Freire at the Halpern Centre at SFU on March 29.  It was inspiring to hear the exchanges between experienced faculty and new instructors over the challenges of "educating for freedom" which Paulo urges us to do in his Pedagogy of the Oppressed.

Many thanks to SFU's Media Services for obtaining the recordings made at U of T, with Alan Thomas and Roby Kidd speaking with Paulo Freire when he visited in 1979.  The news is that the two DVDs (Letters in the Earth and Becoming a Christian) have been purchased and are in fact part of SFU's library collection although they were so new they hadn't been catalogued when I showed them to the group. They will be catalogued by the first week of April, so available to be borrowed after that. A copy of the videotape, Guns and Pencils, will be added to the collection soon.

I'm adding to this forum a copy of the questions that I circulated with regard to the Forewords and Chapters 1,3,4. If they are useful for any of your teaching and learning activities, please use them freely.  Our discussion on the relevance of Paulo's comments in Chapter 2 to our work at SFU was most interesting, and I hope everyone will continue to reflect on the messages in that chapter.

I welcome comments here, not only from the educators who joined us on the hill, but from anyone who is interested in the writings of Paulo Freire and their relevance to education in the 21st century.

Liz