Setting milestones for our book project

Setting milestones for our book project

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 10
Hi everyone,
I see some of you have been busy over at the Blogging to Enhance
Learning Experiences Wiki
!

One thing we haven't discussed yet is milestones for our book project. Up to the end of March feels like the right amount of time for us to settle in with our chapter topics, lead writers, and draft organization of the book into sections. We may need to round up a few more writers to fill gaps but generally we've sure made some good progress!

How does this sound for a start on items to agree on/deliver?:

March
  • chapter topics
  • identify needs for lead writers
  • writing space
  • copyright
April
  • style/template guidelines
  • identify all lead writer
  • organize editing roles and routines
  • publishing format(s)
May
  • write write write
June
  • publish?
In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Setting milestones for our book project

by Emma Duke-Williams -
How does that format fit in with people's work patterns?

Speaking from a UK perspective, it could be a little difficult, as though teaching (at least in my university!) generally ends mid-may, we then have all the exams, coursework marking etc., that has to be in by mid june. It's quite a busy time of the year for us.

That said, I think that the UK contingent is pretty small in comparison to the North American one!
In reply to Emma Duke-Williams

by Francesc Balagué -
For me it's fine. But I don't care. For the moment I have time to do it, so whatever you decide.

cheers!

francesc

by Barbara Dieu -
I´d rather push it one month forward. The writewritewrite phase would be better for me end ofJune-July. I have a number of other writing/speaking/class commitments until end of May.

by Robin Yap -
I have time right now so this schedule is ok with me.

by Michael Griffith -
This time line is OK for me in Australia. First semester teaching finishes here at the end of May and then we have a break till the end of July when second semester starts. I am sorry I have been hanging in the background during the last weeks but teaching has been very hectic this semester.
Cheers
Michael Griffith.
In reply to Michael Griffith

by Sylvia Currie -
Thanks for all the feedback on milestones. I added a sketchy schedule to our book project SIG main page, leaving it somewhat open. Emma and Barbara, with your time being tight in May/June that leaves some more writing time for you in July during the edit edit edit phase. If all goes as planned in my life, I won't be available mid-July to mid-August but can work hard on the editing before and immediately afterwards! :-)

Hey ho, the book is beginning to take good shape!

Book project progress

by Sylvia Currie -
Hi blogging book project writers and editors!

It's July already! According to our schedule we should be editing editing editing. I thought I should do a quick check in to see what kind of progress everyone is making with chapters. A few questions:

1. Is everyone using the bloggingtoenhancelearning.wikispaces.com/ wiki to write? Or do you plan so copy your work into the wiki?

2. Do you have suggestions for revising our schedule?

3. Have you added your chapter topic to the table of contents?

4. Have you placed your name beside the chapter titles in the table of contents that you plan to write? (There are still a few proposed topics without authors)

Re: Book project progress

by Therese Weel -
Hi Syvlia

Here is the PDF for Blogging tools.  I have it in a wiki format as well.

http://virtualtoolshed.ca/pdfs/VT-Blogware.pdf

If this information is of value for this project - great - because that will encourage me to work on it.

I will be re-inventing the Virtual Toolshed for 2008. In addition to format changes I want to add some bits on soft skills and value to the individual.

Therese

In reply to Therese Weel

by Sylvia Currie -
This is great, Therese! Yes, I think we really do need a practical survey of blogging tools as well as various tools for managing communication, updates, etc.

We have an item in the appendices called "Blogging Software (comparison chart)". Instead this could transform into a chapter that also has some more details around different hosting options, things to consider when setting up, and all of the practical details of finding and using the right tools for the job.

This would be a really valuable contribution to the book. smile

by Sylvia Currie -
Some of you have responded by email so I'm bringing the progress reports and ideas forward. That way we're all in the loop.

Question 1
1. Is everyone using the bloggingtoenhancelearning.wikispaces.com/ wiki to write? Or do you plan so copy your work into the wiki?

For some it's easier to write off-line to take advantage of wordprocessing features then copy to the wiki. Francesc will have a chapter ready soon and Parker is aiming for Friday, 20 July.

Question 2
2. Do you have suggestions for revising our schedule?

I'm hearing "firm deadines" are best. Can we all work toward July 23 for a first draft?