Using KaleidoSCoPE for discussions about SCoPE

Using KaleidoSCoPE for discussions about SCoPE

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 1
With this recent discussion starting up about site design and suggestions that we should have a place to share and talk about tools used in SCoPE, combined with some behind the scenes conversations about community research possibilities, next steps, new directions, funding, and everything else that goes on with organizing our community life, I do think that we need a space dedicated to talking about SCoPE.

Here's my thought: We originally created this "Kaleidoscope" space to provide a venue for ongoing conversations and sharing that are spontaneous (i.e. not scheduled or part of a focused SIG). It hasn't really been used for that, and one reason (I think) is that more and more people are using blogs for that purpose. For example, some listservs that I belong to are now being used for the odd broadcast about upcoming conferences, but that's about it! So perhaps the solution is to transform KaleidoSCoPE into a space for talking about ways to improve and advance SCoPE, and for gathering resources to help with participation in SCoPE. We can include sections on:
  • Sharing resources about SCoPE (planning documents, conference presentations & papers)
  • "How to" documents for interacting in SCoPE
  • Site customization (ideas, mock-ups, etc)
  • Suggestions/requests for new topics/SIGs
  • Facilitator tools and support -- Q&A, advice from past facilitators
  • SCoPE community research (for members using SCoPE for research)
  • Integrating and testing new tools in SCoPE (Marginalia, etc)
Does that sound reasonable?

BTW, I'm posting this with the knowledge that not many SCoPE members will be in KaleidoSCoPE reading it! clown I'll make an effort to direct more people to our discussion here.
In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Using KaleidoSCoPE for discussions about SCoPE

by Elizabeth Wallace -

Sylvia: All good ideas.

However, I think you should also have a space where we can list the various conferences and meetings that we attend and where people can meet with us to talk about SCoPE. For example, you have already made a presentation in the 2007 Northern Voice, and willl be at the Moodle Moot in Alberta. I made a presentation in Vancouver at the UCIPE Network, and will be presenting in Sydney, Australia in July. You just sent me an email list of places you are going and things you are producing to promote SCoPE.

Sylvia, apart from making explicit how visible SCoPE is becoming on an international scale, I think this will help the SFU administration in their decision making about support for SCoPE.

Liz