Au Revoirs

Au Revoirs

by Nick Noakes -
Number of replies: 18
I've been promised I will get my desktop back this weekend, so how about a closing session in Second Life? If you're up for it, please post a note with preferred days and times.

Thank you all for your contributions over the past three weeks.

Nick
In reply to Nick Noakes

Re: Au Revoirs + second life closing

by Sylvia Currie -
Our au revoirs and next steps messages crossed paths yesterday, Nick! Thanks for the offer to have a closing session in Second Life this weekend. I was having a hard time thinking that far ahead, then this morning I realized the weekend is right in front of us!

Preferred dates and times for me are:
  • Saturday morning from 6 - 8:00 am (13-15:00 GMT Saturday March 24)
  • any time on Sunday (Pacific), starting at 6:00 am (starting at at 13:00 GMT Sunday March 25 2007)
In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Emma Duke-Williams -
Either of those should be OK for me ... I'm UK based, so SL evenings/ aren't so good!

by E.A. Draffan -
I am so sorry to be away this weekend as I was longing to try second life.  Thank you so much for all the interesting talks and information - I do hope we can collate it all and gather more smile

by Carol Isakson -

I'm back and reading frantically trying to catch up on all the rich conversations I missed! I'll try to join you in Second Life on Saturday morning. If no one else can make it at that time, I'll be content with walking into walls and oceans on my own. Great way to "vacation" for a while.

Thank you all for such a wonderful community that raises questions, provides insight and makes me think and wonder.

Carol / Sunshine Hapmouche

In reply to Carol Isakson

by Ian MacLeod -
Hi Nick:

Saturday or Sunday in SL works for me. Just let me know what time it will be and I will do my best to be there.

Ian (hondomac Dalgleish in world)

by Nick Noakes -
See you all on Boracay at 7am PDT (1400 GMT) - check the time in your time zone -> here
In reply to Nick Noakes

by Emma Duke-Williams -
Was that today, or will it be tomorrow? As you can guess from the question, if it was today, I'm sorry to have missed it, if it's going to be tomorrow, then hopefully I'll get there!

Emma
In reply to Emma Duke-Williams

by Nick Noakes -
Sorry it was Sat am - the word "here" in my message you replied to is linked to timeanddate.com but sorry for not putting the day :(

I can easily be there on Sun at 7am PDT, so if you and anyone else would like to meet up, please let me know.
In reply to Nick Noakes

by Emma Duke-Williams -
Oops. I didn't think of checking the "here" - I was just going on the fact that you'd said 14.00 GMT.

I'll wander round for a bit, in case you are all there, but no worries.

Emma
In reply to Nick Noakes

by Barbara Dieu -
Oh shoot. My plane which was due to land at 8 am local time only made it at 11:00 due to fog and congestion so missed your meeting :-(
Could someone report on both Sat and Sun...pics?
In reply to Barbara Dieu

by Emma Duke-Williams -
Were you caught up in the congestion at Gatwick caused by the power-cut to the baggage belt thingy?
I was the only person there on sunday - but had a very nice chat with Nick - and he gave me several useful pointers.
I'm finding that I'm getting an ever increasing heap of handy hints. Now I just need to start to use them!
I am, thanks to Nick's Guided tour, part way through a tour of several different islands, all quite different - all very interesting. (You'll need to get the Hitchhikers Guide to SL on his island of Boracay (it's very near where you land when you teleport there)
In reply to Barbara Dieu

Au revoirs and a huge thank you!

by Sylvia Currie -
Barbara, I have a picture from our closing session on Saturday but I'm still such a klutz in SL that I can't figure out how to get it out of there! Nick may have saved the text transcript. We had a nice chat around the table then Nick took us on a real adventure-- handgliding! The hilarious part was that we didn't know how to land, but our Corwin came to the rescue and got us all back to land safely. approve

Nick, we owe you a huge thank you for facilitating our facilitation seminar! Talk about reflexive! We sure had a variety-packed 3 weeks with discussions about the past, present, and future of online facilitation using our forum, text chat, telephone conference, Skype, Second Life, and a collaborative mind map. Your helpful hand both in advancing our discussion here, and in helping us find our way around Barclay Island and beyond is much appreciated! Nick even gave us the gift of a SCoPE group in SL. (Nick, help! You said I'm an "officer". What does it mean?! big grin)

And if we didn't realize it before, we certainly do now. We are in a period of transition, with new ways of communicating, using new tools, and noticing fuzzy boundaries. Nancy White did a masterful job of getting us to look into the future while demonstrating online facilitation using all parts of the brain simultaneously. cool Thanks Choconancy! We'll all be watching your online interaction blog.

During this seminar there were hints and suggestions that we should:
1) compile our resources
2) find ways to continue this dialogue

I created a wiki for us to start pulling out those gems. So far it's nothing more than a few headings to get us started. It's that time problem again! thoughtful It could become a really useful resources for all of us -- we just need to get in there and add our gems and takeaways.

Tip: You can find the wikis that accompany our seminar discussions by viewing the Scheduled Seminar Discussion main page. The links to the resources are tucked under each seminar link. You can also see a full list of wikis, resources, forums, and chats by clicking on the links on the left sidebar.

As for continuing the dialogue...

We have a seminar scheduled for May, tentatively called Supporting and Advancing Online Dialogue, and tentatively set for May 7-27, 2007, but definitely facilitated by Cindy Xin with the possibility of a co-facilitator or two. That seminar will be the right place to get into the nitty gritty of what Christie was hoping for.

I should also mention that we have a Community Enthusiasts SIG here in SCoPE. If you'd like to start up a discussion on online facilitation post a note in the main forum there. We could set up a separate topic section and continue to accumulate resources and all that good stuff. 

Brigitte-Louise has offered the student point of view should we continue the discussion. This offer made me stop in my tracks. How perfect would that be -- to bring in a group of students to talk about their experiences! From the student's point of view, what makes a good online facilitator? Stephen Thorpe elaborated on different roles of the facilitator in teaching and other group facilitation contexts. It would be interesting to examine these further, and from the student's point of view. Do we need to keep these roles separate? We obviously have many more topics to explore! Time to round up the students!

I hope everyone will be back for the next seminar: Serious Games and Virtual Worlds: April 4-24, 2007, facilitated by Therese Weel and Tia Carr Williams. Get ready folks, Therese and Tia have a lot of energy. I think we'll be rolling up our sleeves during that one!

Re: Au revoirs and a huge thank you!

by Nick Noakes -
Sylvia said ... "(Nick, help! You said I'm an "officer". What does it mean?!"

The main thing is that you can have membership controls and you can send messages. But I can change it so we everyone can send notices. Let me know. Thought it might be useful for Therese and Tia's session coming up.

You can see what an officer can do by right click on your avatar, choose groups, click on SCoPE, click on the blue Info button, then click on the roles tab.

Re: Au revoirs and a huge thank you!

by Ian MacLeod -
Thanks for all of this Sylvia. The wiki looks great and I'll be sure to use it. Looking forward to the next seminar. SCoPE is such an amazing learning environment. See you on the 4th!

Cheers

Ian
In reply to Nick Noakes

Re: Au Revoirs

by Tia Carr Williams -

Nick,

It's been a fascinating discussion amongst peer professionals..thank you very much for helping me understand what issues others are experiencing.

Can I also join on Saturday..whatever works for everyone...

Tia

In reply to Nick Noakes

Just an Au Revoirs for now

by Derek Chirnside -
I can't join you sorry, 80th birthday today for my mother etc etc.  I agree with Tia, a fascinating discussion.  We have still many open loops in our thinking and percolating of ideas, but hey, we live with that. . . .

The discussion has come at a good time for me.  Several reflections:
  1. Chat/TC.  The chat TC was great.  I treat these as an existential link up, more in the realm of brainstorming/birthing/splattering ideas around than deeper engagement.  Or maybe it is like this: deep comes quickly, but by virtue of the medium we move on quite quick, and it's only later we reflect.
    I was hoping to invite you to trial our new chat application.  But it's not quite ready for beta yet. 

It has the option to have as many input dialogue entry screens as you want down the right - and so if you are in the middle of typing a considered post (ie like 20 words) you can interject with YeAAAAAAAAh!! in another entry box and then get back to your post.  OR you can temporarily take on a faciltators role (notice I'm trying top change my paradigm here) and have several posts 'lined up' for posting.  OR you can take a quick visit to the web, find your URL working in one dialogue box while carrying on the main thred in another one.  wink

It will also give the option to tie a current IM to a previous one much higher up the list.

Now my presenting problems: is this going to work?  Will it merely enlarge the gap between the fast typers and the others? (Who knows)

2. While the chat was good, we certainly diverged a little off Nancy's question "How to encourage facilitators".  and more to the point "How could Nancy develop her course?"  Good questions.

In trying to cudgel my brain to stay on this topic I do note this: at the moment, everytime I try to think about teaching facilitation (which is my current preoccupation), my thoughts also stray over to the notion to community.  And then soon it is in the areas of learning.  What is learning?

3. Aside: Tim Greig sent me this link to quite a nice post (graphic linked below)

sdgf
A small quote from the post: "Every time I give a talk, someone always asks, "That's all good and nice that helping users learn is the key to creating passionate users... but who's going to do all that extra work? Who's going to make the extra tutorials and better docs?" Answer: your user community. Think about all the things a strong user community can do for you: tech support, user training, marketing (evangelism, word of mouth), third-party add-ons, even new product ideas. And that's not including any extra sales you might make on community/tribe items like t-shirts, stickers, and other gear" 

from Kathy Sierra (Who I never heard of until yesterday, although her logo is familiar and it may be altseimers).

I'd heard the bit about getting rich via blogging, but her other point was quite new to me.

4. I tried the [new to me] file upload here to show you a picture of my son's new coffee machine, but is not working just quite right yet.  But it will be a great new addition to be able to upload files.

Anyway, enjoy the SL trip, thank everyone, thanks Nick, signing off for now. .

In reply to Derek Chirnside

Re: Just an Au Revoirs for now

by Barbara Dieu -
Au revoir ,Derek.

NIck I would love to be with you all in SL but only arrive from Seattle on Sunday 13:00 GMT. Catch you later if you are still there.

As to learning, communities, I found an interesting post and video I refer to in my blog.
http://beewebhead.net/?p=354
In reply to Nick Noakes

Re: Au Revoirs

by Jeffrey Keefer -
Nick, while we say farewell for now, I think it is more a period of transition from our work here to our work that will take place out there in the larger blogosphere. So thus, thank you for everything, and until we meet again . . .