mindmaps, marginalia and other tools

mindmaps, marginalia and other tools

by Corinne Brooks -
Number of replies: 3
I think a section should be provided on the website listing such useful tools as mind mapping tools and marginalia, and maybe many more I have not come across that discussion facilitators might use to enhance their discussion forums (and which may also be useful in our teaching). A further discussion of these tools and how to use them would also be useful. 
In reply to Corinne Brooks

Re: mindmaps, marginalia and other tools

by Corinne Brooks -
Add camtasia and unyte to list of useful tools. I have used both of these quite often recently and they are great.
In reply to Corinne Brooks

by Emma Duke-Williams -
What's "untye"? I know Camtasia (though I currently prefer Captivate, & have used Wink as well), but untye is unfamiliar.

For those that don't know Camtasia, it & the others I mentioned are tools for creating movie files (often Flash) of what's going on on Screen. Captivate is pretty powerful - though not cheap (it's part of the Adobe suite that they bought from Macromedia - was called RoboDemo in the past). Wink is free. They've recently introduced the ability to add a voice over, which they didn't have in the past - I've used earlier versions & it was pretty easy, though I've not tried the voice over version. I've only used Camtasia several years ago, so can't really remember it & anyway they've probably changed it!
In reply to Emma Duke-Williams

by Corinne Brooks -
Unyte is a Skype addon that lets you share your desktop or individual windows with other skype users, so they can see what you are doing. I find it useful to help new players in an online game I play, but have also used it to help people change windows settings etc as i can see what they are doing on their screen and can talk them through it. I can see lots of uses for distance learning.

Skype has lots of useful addons for sharing documents or whiteboards etc. (You will need latest version), I also like the battleships addon which I play with a friend in Greece :)