mindmapping marginalia etc

mindmapping marginalia etc

by Corinne Brooks -
Number of replies: 7
Since being here I've discovered some useful tools, such as mindmapping tools and now marginalia. I can't see where to suggest items for future discussion but I think it would be useful to have a section on scope itemising such tools and their uses, and maybe a time/forum could be provided for people to suggest and discuss them.
In reply to Corinne Brooks

Re: mindmapping marginalia etc

by Emma Duke-Williams -
Can I second that - especially the idea of a forum, as that could be running all the time, and people could ask as they discovered things/ had ideas. 
In reply to Emma Duke-Williams

by Sylvia Currie -
Great idea to find a time and place to have a discussion about tools and their uses and gather them into a resource. BTW, most of the ideas discussions for seminar discussions here in SCoPE begin just like this -- noticing topics that have emerged through participation and need further attention. So thanks for that Corinne and Emma!

There are a few possibilities. One is to work it into a seminar that is in the planning phase: Supporting and Advancing Online Dialogue. The Marginalia tool was developed through support from BCampus and Andrew Feenberg's Applied Communication and Technology Lab at SFU. Cindy Xin, along with other members of that project may be in a position to facilitate a seminar fairly soon. The focus would obviously be on online dialogue, and Corinne and Emma, you may have something broader in mind.

Another possibility is to set up a forum in KaleidoSCoPE. The idea for that space is to have ongoing conversations on anything that comes to mind.

A more focused and ongoing approach would be to set up a Special Interest Group (SIG). That space could be devoted sharing and discussing all kinds of tools that help us with communication, facilitation, productivity, collaboration, etc etc. It could be a neat way to experiment and share our views on the latest tools and trends.

Anything is possible! I'm all ears :-)
In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Ian MacLeod -
I think that a place/wiki/seminar where we can come together an share/gather/catalogue our experiences with all of the Web2.0 (and beyond) tools and technologies that are springing up daily (it seems) is a fantastic idea.

As an active explorer and user of Web 2.0 tools, it would be great to have a place to talk about their uses in adult education and to find out what others are doing with them.

Cheers

Ian

In reply to Ian MacLeod

by Corinne Brooks -
I think it would be great to have a discussion on how to use wikis, mindmaps etc. and then from that to produce a resources section for the scope site listing these tools (maybe with links to the discussions of them - or the wikis/mindmaps etc that come from the discussion). Whether this could be done in the seminar program or as a SIG I don't know.

We could make a SIG to discuss redesigning the homepage/site in general and include this as a subsection. (See my suggestion on redesigning site in Kaleidoscope).

In reply to Corinne Brooks

by E.A. Draffan -
I have just read a document by Paul Anderson called "What is Web 2.0? Ideas, technologiesand implications for education" (.PDF published Feb 2007) It covered some interesting topics including issues related to teaching and learning, research, publishing and libraries. 
In reply to E.A. Draffan

by Emma Duke-Williams -

Fully agree with both previous posters ... that JISC report that EA mentions is very good & an easy read!

I like the idea of a SIG or whatever, as Web2.0 is such a rapidly changing field - if there is a conference it would be good - for the fortnight that it runs, but, it's very likely that someone will launch a really good tool - the day afterwards!

So, I'm all for a SIG. In addition - it would be useful to have a section within that for "Handy SCoPE hints" - which would mean that I wouldn't have had to ask about the "Annotation Summary"

In reply to Emma Duke-Williams

by Corinne Brooks -
Further discussion of this is taking place in the suggestion box on kaleidoscope. Click on suggestions on main page if you can't find it.