Using Moodle: Annotation Summary

Using Moodle: Annotation Summary

by Emma Duke-Williams -
Number of replies: 2
OK. I have seen this in many of the Scope discussions - a link to "Annotation Summary". From the drop down list at the top of the page, I see that I can see either my annotations, or everyones, or, for some reason (? she's the only one who's done any/ she's listed as the "teacher"), Sylvia's.

Clicking on the link, it tells me, well, not very much really, other than the fact that I can start / stop "smart copy" by using CTRL S (Which is useful knowing, though it doesn't help me with annotating)

How do you do it? I'm assuming that were I able to annotate things, I could do the equivalent of "starring" them so that I can find them when I have several to answer/ if someone's said something I think that I might want to refer to again in the future. ANd/ or I could use it to add additional notes to myself - if someone's comments make me think of something that means something to me, but not something that's worth mentioning to the group.
In reply to Emma Duke-Williams

Re: Using Moodle: Annotation Summary

by Sylvia Currie -
Emma, your explanation is exactly how you can use the annotation tool (called Marginalia). What you see when you click on the Annotation Summary link is annotations created and made public by participants in this forum.

It's a useful tool for facilitators because you can identify themes that emerge, flag posts for follow up, etc. And it's great for teaching if you are looking for specific things in the students' contributions to a forum for assessment purposes. You can make your annotations private or public.

Geof Glass, the developer, has a demo on his site that shows how to make annotations. http://www.geof.net/code/annotation/demo/

Note, it only works with Firefox and Internet Explorer. We'll have to organize a time here in SCoPE to use and provide feedback on Marginalia. It has a lot of potential!