Welcome to our May seminar!

Re: Welcome to our May seminar!

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Number of replies: 3

I am Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers, R. Psych. (AB) in private practice and working contracts in teaching/educational development

What is your criteria for teaching and learning based on your discipline and your prefered teaching style?
I’m a psychologist (teach various psychology subjects using LMS – like WebCT and Moodle), and art therapist (various art therapy traditionally as a teacher, but as a student I have studied art therapy online) (like all the digital and art making videos), and as a dance/movement therapist (ADTR), I’m excited about more use of videos.

What practices do you employ?

I’m still developing my skills. Right now I have been attempting to get my webcam to work (it used to). I recently presented a Power Point on Art Therapies and Technology. Professionals in my areas are very excited about any “camera” work that can be distributed for learning purposes.

How do you experience the learning moment as teacher or student within the context of online learning?
I get excited. Most students are really positive to learning the content of the subjects I've been fortunate to teach and I challenge myself to keep learning more.

If you were a panellist in such a teleconference, what would you say?

I think that camera skills improve with practice and exposure – like dancing – practice, practice, practice. I think with practice I will be more comfortable with being on webcams and with making and distributing Youtube videos. As a panellist I might get rather self-conscious, but I would proceed anyway.

What is your experience of being in front of the camera?
I used to do a group work and research work on camera and had varied experiences, mostly good. These days,I feel okay in doing demos for the work that I do, especially videos of work with clients and demo-volunteers as I think that the camera demonstrations are important for sharing and teaching. Lately I have did some demo videos as a distant education student (not for massive distribution on Youtube or for my colleagues). My son and I did demos in art therapy. As well, I recently made some videos with some clients and myself that were used in teaching in an inclass context. I really appreciated and loved recent videos that other professionals did that I saw on Youtubes. They were inspiring. 

How do you feel when you see yourself on video?
Self-conscious about what I say and do, but okay. I feel I want to get it "right".. hmm... and there probably is only better.

What are the challenges for you in being a really effective online teacher/facilitator?

Having time to do what I want to do, Costs to donate more time and to teach takes away from my hours in clinical work, continued development of technical skill, using attractive instructional design that is well chosen for the material and learners.

What’s holding you back?
More time, money, clear objectives, engaging more with peers of similar interests, and projects with defined objectives.

What skills would you like to develop as far as online delivery goes?
Ease of delivery for online camera use and good practices.

In reply to Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers

by Jesai Jayhmes -
Jo Ann you say whats holding you back is
that you have...
"More time, money, clear objectives, engaging more with peers of similar interests, and projects with defined objectives."
We should all be so lucky. You must be unstoppable.
Thanks for your participation.

As you are each preparing your vlog intro
Have a look here if you didn't already get it off the handout.pdf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2x5hzYM1ZY.

and yes Nellie, when you get into it, it can be much faster than writing. In fact dictate your research paper and transcribe it after.
There are quite a few for whom that method works very well... with editting of course for ummm's and ahhhh's.

Which brings me to another point. Those of you who have ever been in Toastmaster's to practice your speaking will recall the "ahhh" counter. In my club we had to pay a quarter for each umm or ahhh we say. Now with video there is no excuse because you can edit them out... unless you want to appear totally natural and ummm not very aaahhhh bright, just kidding.

A suggestion when you make your recording is to become aware of that tendency, if you have it... and instead, pause and breathe in while you think about what you are going to say next.
That generally works very well.

In reply to Jesai Jayhmes

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Jesai,
Thank you for the tips. I was wondering about the lip smacking feature. I didn't like it very much. I urgently need an editor for my recording so I start improving. I am using XP. iMovie seems to only work with Vista. Sounding natural is fine for a start, but I'd like to move on beyond the humanizing stage to a more professional looking video. wink

|I would appreciate any suggestions on what's out there?

Thank you.

In reply to Jesai Jayhmes

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Dear Jesai,
I only wish that I really could make more progress in teaching with technology with all the blessings, skills and wonderful contacts I have already online and off. I don't feel unstoppable -- in fact -- just the opposite, Jesai -- but that does not really surprise me. In Canada most people who teach post-secondary seem to be on a tenure track -- that has never been the case with me. The good part is that I can take various contracts at various universities/colleges -- and that is what I have done over the past 4 years. However in the fields of dance/movement therapy, art therapy, and health psychology, there needs to be a lot more political good will developed and continued quality research support. On the American Dance/Movement Therapy Listserv, it is clear that many therapists making strides and work diligently towards more public and professional teaching and PR. There are so many therapies nowadays and many people still have not heard of what Dance/Movement Therapy, Art Therapy or Health Psychology are about.

Regarding use of video, in terms of Health Psychology, I've seen no videos in this area yet. With art therapy, I've seen one professional Youtube that was really amazing -- where children's drawings showed what happened to their communities in war. I know that there are many other digital videos that are sitting with people -- like myself -- but they are not out there for various reasons. In terms of Dance/Movement therapy, I've seen three very good quality Youtubes, and 6 films, total. Theses fields are not that integrated into the world of Clinical/counselling psychology, but it is slowly happening.

The "upside" is that there are getting to be greater numbers of trained professionals who are wading into technology now and who appreciate the potential of making and distributing videos for teaching/learning and PR purposes.

On a personal note, when I used Skype and Marratech with my students from U of L in a Health Psychology course I was teaching, it was a first for all that actually did it with me. They used webcams. The students appreciated the opportunity and enjoyed the "humanizing aspect".

BTW, I really think that Nellie and Sylvie were super in their webcams and they are inspirational. Now if I could only get my connection repaired -- breakdowns are one of the minor but disruptive glitches of technology for me. I will promise to keep my future posts short and hopefully at a video at some point. Jo Ann