Mindmapping software.

Mindmapping software.

by Emma Duke-Williams -
Number of replies: 6
Nick has mentioned two different online mindmapping software sites - I'd already got an account with MindMeister, but I rather like the look of Mindomo.

However, what I'd really like, though I don't think that the sort of software I'd like exists - either as an online app or installable is something that allows you to have the ease of mind map creation - but, at the same time, allows you to have two (or more) central themes.

I'll explain what I'm thinking of. I was talking to a colleague the other day, and we were discussing the differences and similarities of blogs & wikis. It ended up as a mind map type diagram, but with two main nodes. Some things were linked to both, some to just one.

We could have done it as a Venn diagram, but chose not to.

I've been able to create the sort of diagram that I want with Gliffy, though it's a little more fiddly, as (as far as I've worked out) you have to create the shape, then put the label inside, and then group them,  rather than doing it in a single step. Thinkature lets me do sort of what I want, but still not exactly.

Does anyone know of a tool that lets me do what I want to do?
In reply to Emma Duke-Williams

Re: Mindmapping software.

by Nick Noakes -
Emma

The only software I know that does this is Inspiration - no web-based version yet but it does come in Win and Mac flavours.

Nick
In reply to Nick Noakes

by Emma Duke-Williams -
Thanks ... especially as I've just discovered that it's now on part of the profile for all staff & students where I work. :)
In reply to Nick Noakes

by E.A. Draffan -
Most of the programs we have listed under the products category of Mindmapping in EmpTech will allow for nodes that are separated from the main section and then linked to other nodes.  But as you say none of them work directly on the web. Best wishes E.A.
In reply to E.A. Draffan

by Emma Duke-Williams -
is the Emptech site the same on as used to be on the techDis site, or are they separate now? It's certainly very nice and clear!

Someone else has suggested CMAP, which I'd played with ages ago & had forgotten about; it seems to be the best, as it allows you to have a "point" or whatever you want to call it, linked to more than one node, easily. When I was experimenting with Inspiration, I had to put two branches on top of each other, so that they looked as if they were the same...

by Nick Noakes -
You don't have to do that in Inspiration - each node has 6 or 8 connection points. Just use different ones.

Having said that CMAP is great and if you install CMAP server or you don't mind using their public space, then you can post them for people to work on collaboratively (and CMAP comes in all OS flavours and is free).

You might also want to look at compendium from the UK Open University .. this one is aimed specifically at discussion / argument mapping but can easily be used for the other purposes.

by E.A. Draffan -

smile I am smiling because you noticed the two databases!  The team at Sussex University left TechDis when it moved to York and at that time the database at TechDis was reduced in the number of products and type of support. 

EmpTech was developed in a completely new framework with advice from assessors of AT in UK.  I try to keep EmpTech up to date as much as possible whilst also doing research work and consultancy, sometimes working with old friends at TechDis.  I am very much hoping to link my work on an e-learning project at Southampton University withTechDis work on Web 2.0.