Publishing Options

Publishing Options

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 9
I'm pulling out a couple comments from Barbara to start a new thread on publishing options:

The book could be published online in pdf format but also available for print for those who want it at http://lulu.com

A wiki would be the best place to write (each one of us with a page) because we can see what each other is doing and eventually give suggestions or collaborate.

I've purchased a few books through lulu.com. They do quality work without the worry of overhead (I think -- need to read all the fine print!). Also Lulu has a good online store option and are fast to process and ship orders.

Barbara's reasons for using a wiki for collaboration make perfect sense. Perhaps the wiki could also become one format for the final product (in addition to a purchased print copy).

This also raises questions about charging for the book, and distribution of revenue. Interesting how each new topic leads to more! :-)

I'd like to propose that we offer this book as a download free of charge, with the option to purchase a print copy. How does everyone feel about that?
In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Publishing Options

by Robin Yap -
How about a teaser version of the book that is downloadable for free and then a full version online or print for a fee. Cost for online would be lower of course than print.
In reply to Robin Yap

by Sylvia Currie -
Any more feedback on publishing options?

Robin mentions a "teaser version". Perhaps we could offer downloadable chapters and leave it up to the individual chapter authors to offer that option. So the "teaser" might be that not all chapters are available in a version that is easily printable, and the download is not convenient because it is chapter-by-chapter. Is that what you mean Robin?

Our wiki version could remain free and available. How does everyone feel about that?

Then there could be a charge for a print version -- using a service that produces the book on demand to avoid any overhead costs.

by Robin Yap -

Actually I was thinking of having a teaser for the whole book and not having anything else downloadable unless with a fee (including the wiki). This initial response can be traced to my legal background as I am always on the lookout for copyright issues.

Regarding your suggestion that each chapter author creates a teaser, that's an idea and for authors who do not have preference then their whole chapter can be downloadable for free - this idea is also a possibility since each author owns their own work anyway.

Either option at this point would work for me.

In reply to Robin Yap

by Sylvia Currie -
Robin syas that he would like to charge a fee for both online and print versions of his chapter. We haven't heard from anyone else on the question of publishing and charging a fee.

Can I assume that everyone else is willing make an online version of their chapter available free of charge? I'm sort of working on the assumption that a free online version is the default unless we hear otherwise, mainly because it's what I proposed at the onset. But let's discuss this before heading too far down the wrong path!

With the print version, I recommended lulu.com. Does anyone have any comments on that, or other suggestions?

Sylvia

by Robin Yap -

That's my lawyer's hat talking :)

I like Lulu and if we get the service (I can't remember which level it is) we can get our book listed on Amazon through them.

Are we getting any ISBN numbers for this? Not sure what the process is

In reply to Robin Yap

by Sylvia Currie -
Thanks for the feedback so far. Parker says she's flexible, and Robin has a lawyer hat on but I'm not sure what that means! LOL 

I'm still assuming for everyone else that silence means you're okay with offering a free wiki/downloadable version. I figure there has to be a default response so that's the one I chose. wink

Publishing options has more to do with marketing and revenue. My guess is that a print version will be appealing to people. I also have a gut feeling that a free version is actually a good way to promote sales. It sounds counter-intuitive but given the educator culture and positive trends toward more open sharing and building on the work of others, people are standing pretty close to their principles.

I checked out a couple things about lulu.com raised by Robin:
- Yes we would get an ISBN number "A unique ISBN assigned by Lulu for your title. "Lulu.com" will be listed as the publisher"
- The information about the book is supplied by lulu.com to the distributor used by major retailers. So through this service we get listed through Amazon and other retailers, but "ultimately, the decision to list your book is up to the individual retailer". 

by Francesc Balagué -

Yes, It sounds good!!

I was taking a look at lulu.com and for our purpose I think it’s a very good solution.

Some friends used this service and told me that they do a good job but they don't promote the book. People think that they will make a marketing campaign, etc. and will get benefits and so. They only build the books and send the reference to the bookshops. Just to inform you.

cheers!!

by Silvana Carnicero -

Dear  Sylvia,

I have no problem with doing it as a free downloadable version. Whatever way of publishig you choose, it's fine with me.

Silvana  

by parker owens -
I'm okay with whatever we come up with. I may have a free version of the article, and an extended article for publication elsewhere.

I got interested in the Scope seminar (right after blogs and wikis) on virtual worlds, and I've been exploring accessibility challenges in teaching through online worlds. So I guess my extended version would have accessibility info on connecting with students in chat, gaming, and virtual worlds.