Goodbye

Goodbye

by Derek Chirnside -
Number of replies: 7
Decided to start a new thread, since where else do you say farewell at the end of a workshop??  I think I have never managed to finish my thinking in line with the end of a SCoPE workshop before, and this is the same.  It's been a nice month, if a little hard to keep up most weeks.

I still smile at the word of the month: Blurk.  I had never heard of this before.   
blurk : A lurker on a blog. (n)
To lurk and read a blog, but not comment (v)
I blurk on Dooce, but I am too shy to comment.
by pony Mar 21, 2005 email
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=blurk

I have learned a lot about blogging tools, it is odd the several I read for specific friends - fragments from past interactions - just never really featured.  (Xanga, Multiply and Vox)  It really came down to elgg and Livejournal and blogmeister.

I learned a bit about accessibility.  Had a look at some computers near my office set up for this purpose.  (I had never given this a thought B4)

I know there were a couple (or more) of questions we have not answered, but that's life.  One about WebCT/Bb.  I'm just not going to bother with blogs inside WebCT/Bb - they need some work to bring them up to spec to be even able to deserve the label blog.

How have we done?  This is important to me - Have we managed to put blogs under the microscope and dissect them and still leave the specialness of this medium intact, and not loose it's life and creativity?  Yes, in my opinion.  But we are still very much in the infancy of understanding the effect of this new environment.  Sylvia, I suggest a Blogs II "Have we made any progress with Blogs in the last year?"  in 12 months.

The metaphors are all there: fires, incubation, hotbeds, creative . .   

Thanks Micheal, you have worked hard I can tell.  I've enjoyed meeting your students.  And all the rest of you.

-Derek
In reply to Derek Chirnside

Re: Goodbye

by Michael Griffith -
Derek- indeed it is farewell. Thank you for your thoughtful contributions and the moments of levity. Now that we are all connected to the Scope space it is entirely likely that we will meet in another life. I at all events have benefitted hugely from taking part in this project... and as you may know have suggested to Sylvia that we try and bring together a publication from all this input. If you had time to come on board (or anyone for that matter) you would of course be welcome
Cheers
Michael
:-) :-) :-)
In reply to Michael Griffith

Thanks everyone!

by Sylvia Currie -
Thanks for starting a signing off thread!

Our Blogging to Enhance Learning Experiences seminar has been so productive that it's hard to believe it was only 2 weeks in length! Thanks everyone for all of your great contributions. And I second what Derek said -- Michael your hard work didn't go unnoticed! We really appreciate that you could take time from your busy work life to facilitate a seminar in SCoPE, and that you invited your students to participate. We learned a lot from them!

Fortunately, the discussions will continue for those who wish to take it further with the book project. I'm thrilled to see 15 members have expressed interest so far. (Just click the yes or maybe button to let us know you're interested) I'll set up a separate project space for us to proceed with our plans to write a book together. How exciting! approve

Also, Derek is proposing a part II blogging seminar next year so we can reconvene to see how the landscape has changed. What a great idea. I'll hold a spot in the calendar.

Our next seminar discussion will be facilitated by Nick Noakes: Learning the Art of Online Facilitation, March 1-21, 2007. Hope to see you all there!
In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Thanks everyone!

by Michael Griffith -
Good news Sylvia- and thank you for your very fabulous co-ordinationa and quick response to all comments and requests. Fantastic that you have got this collaborative project off the ground so quickly... Well done!
Cheers
Michael
In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Thanks everyone!

by Barbara Dieu -
Thank you very much, Michael, Sylvia and all involved for this dynamic and interesting session, from which so many diverse perspectives emerged.
It gave me the opportunity to get acquainted with people from areas very different from my own, each with their special needs and contexts.

I will try to join you for the next seminar.
Warm regards from Brazil,
Bee

PS. I would like to invite all for the next session Blogstreams Salon to be held on March 4th at 21GMT at Tappedin

Blogstreams is a synchronous text session I hold every first Sunday of the month and also a place where you can find a number of blogging resources, archives from past sessions and recordings with guest speakers.
In reply to Michael Griffith

Hmm, not quite goodbye yet.

by Derek Chirnside -
This is a personal request for help.  Things have moved on very quickly where I work.  I now have three blogging projects on the go, all completely different, in an institution with no policy on blogging.  We have general ehtical guidelines for posting etc, use of the internet and so on.

Is there anyone out there who may have some material they could direct me to.  Policy documents.  Assessment statements.  Acceptable use, guidelines, advice to students etc, at an institution, centre OR class level.  I have a 14 day window for this.  If anyone asks I will post my findings.

-Derek

Re: Hmm, not quite goodbye yet.

by Michael Griffith -
Hi Derek- I am assuming you have the documents that I posted..... if not get back to me.... Michael
m.griffith@mary.acu.edu.au
Cheers

Re: Goodbye

by Kelly Christopherson -
Well, I have enjoyed the conversations and ideas that have surfaced during this time. For me, I enjoyed taking part in the discussions when time allowed but still able to keep up with what was going on even though I didn't have time to post. I have several new ideas to look at in the next little while, including LiveJournal. Thanks for the introduction Michael. It was a pleasure to get to know you through your posts. As a person who works in K - 12, it is nice to have a perspective from the Higher Education perspective. Michael, thanks for your work as mediator, you did a great job. Best of luck to the rest of you as you begin or finish your school years.