Follow on!

Follow on!

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 7
We just wrapped up a very lively Elluminate session over at BCcampus Online Communities to kick off our Knowing Knowledge discussion. So many questions, so little time! But no worries, we have 3 weeks and I'm sure we all agree that it feels right to have some time to digest and reflect. Also, plans are underway to schedule another Elluminate session to bring us all back together after we dig into the topic some more.

I'm attaching the text transcript from our session. There was quite a flurry of activity in there, and although George did an outstanding job of reading, talking, and even writing at the same time, there are no doubt some questions and comments that we need to bring forward.

The recording of the Elluminate session will be available shortly.

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Follow on!

by Christie Mason -
That text file is not very easy to read, can you post something that has a bit more formatting in it?

Thank you,
Christie Mason
In reply to Christie Mason

by Sylvia Currie -
Thanks for letting me know about the formatting, Christie. When we meet in person I'm going to take you out for for a big lobster dinner! You've been such a big help in giving feedback in SCoPE and helping me with all these technical details.

I converted the transcript from our Elluminate session to HTML. 
http://scope.lidc.sfu.ca/mod/resource/view.php?id=423

And here is the full recording of our session today. A minute or so passed by before we hit the record button. Mostly we were just testing audio and typing in the text chat during that time.

In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Emma Duke-Williams -
I found that saving the .txt file & then opening in WordPad, rather than NotePad gave the same sort of formatting as you've put in the HTML file.

As an aside, that's one of the things I like about the saved chat from MSN, it formats it & also uses the same fonts & colours as people used in the first place, so, if they'd all got different colours etc., that's preserved.

Emma

by Elizabeth Wallace -

Christie, what a deliciously provocative request :-) I'm sure you didn't intend to set me thinking about the importance of formatting in knowledge sharing, but that's what you've done. Thanks!

First, let me say that I attended the eLIVE session and found the sidebar chat by participants fascinating, but very distracting. It prevented me from giving my full attention to what George was saying and showing.

But what was being said was very rich, and well worth our attention now that the live session is over. The text archive of the chat reflects what people know, or want to know, or want to help others to know. So it seems to me that, by presenting the archive to us, Sylvia is facilitating knowledge sharing.

The problem, though, was in the formatting. The original lump of alphabet and symbols was not easily comprehensible. Does this demonstrate that there can be no knowing unless someone intervenes and imposes structure (thanks, Sylvia)? Does this validate the role of educators and producers of knowledge management systems?

In reply to Elizabeth Wallace

by Christie Mason -
Well Liz you caught me wondering if Sylvia was making a point about dumping info vs exchanging knowledge by removing all contextual format and organization.

When I first started working with static HTML pages, I would play around with making text carry more meaning through odd formats such as
  Indenting a sentence
      to show a secondary,
           then a next level thought.

or introducing hard paragraph breaks so that a
   sentence would demand
         more attention
   depending on how it was
              spaced.

Christie Mason

by Deleted user -
I hope it's not a form of "over-facilitation" but here's a rtf version with colour identities.
In reply to Deleted user

by Sylvia Currie -
Beautiful! Thanks for the new and improved version with colour identities, Jan. Perfect example of collaboration. :-) I've updated the HTML version with your colour coding.

To carry on the thread of using this document as an example of knowledge sharing, the content of the text chat transcript sitting out there by itself, separated from the context of other things happening in the session, sure leaves room for many interpretations! Formatting to try to follow different topics and thought levels would be pretty tough, and my "repackaging" would probably be very different from the next person's. But I guess that's the whole point!