Welcome to our April seminar!

Welcome to our April seminar!

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 25
About our April seminar
Evaluation Practices for Informal/Self-Paced Adult Learning: April 13-May 1, 2009

The idea for this seminar began with an email exchange sparked by this question from Caren:

I was wondering what kinds of evaluations (internal or otherwise) you might conduct regarding the use of SCoPE, user experiences, demographic information, etc...So much of what I have found tends to be more specific to formal learning, rather than learning for its own sake.

The timing was perfect. Here in British Columbia representatives from several colleges and universities are working on a special collaborative project to look at ways to formally recognize all kinds of professional development (including SCoPE seminars) for post-secondary faculty. They are asking similar questions:

How do we acknowledge and recognize informal learning within our system?

It seemed like an ideal topic for a SCoPE seminar, and a nice extension to our 2006 seminar on informal learning, facilitated by Sarah Haavind and Nancy White. So three years later here we are revisiting some of that discussion, and focusing on the essential next step: evaluation practices.

About our facilitators

Caren Levine lives in New Jersey where she works in educational technology, online communities of practice, and with non-profits interested in social media, especially for learning. Caren is working on her dissertation in educational technology focusing on online professional development.

William Owen is Director of the Centre for Teaching, Learning, and Technology, and Associate Professor in Psychology at University of Northern British Columbia (UNBC). He is engaged in the scholarship of teaching and learning at UNBC and is the lead for the British Columbia project mentioned above.

Participating in SCoPE seminars
New to SCoPE or wondering how to manage your participation?
Check this resource.

We would like to extend a special welcome to the new SCoPE members who will be joining us during this seminar, and hopefully many more times in the future!
In reply to Sylvia Currie

Welcome from Caren

by caren levine -
Greetings and welcome to our seminar, Evaluation Practices for Informal/Self-Paced Adult Learning. I am delighted to be co-facilitating and look forward to learning with you.

Given trends in informal education and the affordances of informal online learning, it seems like a good time to open up a community conversation about emergent issues and promising practices for assessing informal and self-paced adult learning.

My interest in this topic stems from two specific aspects (but is hardly limited by them). One is that I am in the process of evaluating a new, self-paced online course for adult learners. In the process of investigating research tools and resources, it became apparent that assessment tools for online formal education, while informative, were not necessarily a good fit for informal/ nonformal learning. The other vantage point from which I am coming at this is as someone who takes advantage of many informal online learning opportunities for my own personal and professional growth. I realized that over the last two years, my engagement with this type of learning has increased exponentially (I wrote up some preliminary reflections about this here).

I am very excited to be a part of this conversation and to learn more about emerging practices in the field, different models for assessment to facilitate deeper learning, share resources for evaluation, and to better understand the relationship of informal learning to professional development through the stories that we share.

Over to you… :) Please introduce yourself and tell us what gets your juices flowing about this topic. How is it relevant to your work? What are your experiences? What interests you?

In reply to caren levine

Greetings from Israel

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Greetings from Israel,

Our Lemon Tree

Thank you for the welcome. It's great to be back in SCoPE.

My name is Nellie Deutsch. I am a self-paced learner/teacher that has always managed to escape the confines of formal education for flexible learning. After 3 years of ongoing doctoral classes in education, leadership, curriculum, instruction, and evaluations of mostly the American educational system, I would like to summarize it all by saying one word "Help".

I am interested in quality learning and look forward to great discussions.

Warm wishes,
Nellie Deutsch
ABD (April 20, 2009)

In reply to caren levine

Re: Welcome from Pamela

by Pamela Stern -
Hello All,
By way of introduction, I have been focused on learning for 12+ years and last year completed a doctorate in educational technology. My purpose these days is to expand the use of informal learning in context with formal programs in order to extend learning beyond the boundaries of programmed events. I work with corporations, associations and others to create learning programs that move the dial for members and employees. Using informal learning with some clients is as simple as explaining how it works but with others education is required. It is the discussion around how learning needs to reach into the workplace and lives of learners for "transfer" to take place that tends to peek interest. However, I am challenged when it comes to evaluation of the informal learning processes that are enabled in such "blended" programs.

It is exciting to be able to discuss issues around evaluation with others working with informal learning. I look forward to hearing your stories and experiences.

In reply to caren levine

Re: Welcome from Caren

by Susanne Nyrop -
Hello,
I'm Sus and I've been on and off taking parts or just reading along in Scope seminars. I'm in Denmark (Europe). Some years back I was asked, as an external consultant, to help evaluate a cohort of educators at a university college for teachers, with regards to their computer-and-online literacy skills.

This project turned out to be rather tricky, with an effort to line up the minimum skills, and develop a list of proof to fill in by each educator, demonstrating by usage of screen dumps or access to their specific course folder in Blackboard, how they were using the tools (ranging from powerpoint and spreadsheet to blogs, wikis, and Skype). In general, it was my impression that most of these educators disliked the whole evaluation process and felt overwhealmed with the many specific demands for documentation.

The main idea was to offer short hands on courses for those who obviously needed some intro or brush up, but many of these experienced teachers apparently felt that they did not wish to change their already existing usage of more traditional media and intranet approach, to a level where web 2 based tools would have a strong impact.

I am now wondering whether the recent development towards a wide acceptance of Facebook in the Danish population in general, would
push this group of educators to experiment with integrating current social media tools in their online/blended learning courses.

All in all, looking back I regard the whole process of developing formal assessment criteria in a new field where informal learning was much appreciated, as an opportunity to reflect on ways to do this respecctfully, and document many different ways to develop your personal, professional portfolio.
In reply to Susanne Nyrop

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Hi Suss,

Great to "see" you here. I will never forget your dress rehearsal in Muvenation. I believe I have the photo on file somewhere. smile
In reply to caren levine

by Jeffrey Keefer -
This sounds like a great topic, and it is wonderful to see so many familiar friends here in SCoPE.

I am a project manager in a clinical education department of a large home care organization in New York City. I teach some classes as an adjunct instructor, and am now studying toward a PhD in eResearch and Technology Enhanced Learning at Lancaster University in the UK.

What interests me about this subject? I find that I have benefited greatly from informal education, and am particularly fascinated about how transformative learning can occur via online education. As a qualitative researcher, I am quite interested in understanding how different people make meaning of this, and what we can learn from the experiences to share with others.
In reply to Jeffrey Keefer

by minhaaj ur rehman -
Great topic. For years, i have worked as educational consultant, helping organizations and educational institutions design, implement and evaluate learning modules. I specialize in instructional design and technology incorporation in learning context. I am doing this free Evaluations best practices course, facilitated by Bronwyn Hegardy from Otago Polytechnic Institute, Newzealand. I would encourage everyone to have a look on the course content and insights that people have about evaluation in e-learning context, which can be both self-paced and guided. It has given me a chance to reflect on my own practices and be inspired by what people are doing.

http://bestpracticeevaluation.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Minhaaj.
In reply to minhaaj ur rehman

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Great to see you, here, Minhaaj. Wow... I am amazed at how fast time flies as I read your statement:

For years, i have worked as educational consultant, helping organizations and educational institutions design, implement and evaluate learning modules. I specialize in instructional design and technology incorporation in learning context.

Minhaaj, hard to believe you were born in 1985, the same year as my youngest daughter. I guess online time has a life of its own.

Warm wishes,
Nellie

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Hi Jeff,

Glad to "see" you here and to read you are working towards a PhD in eResearch. Keep me posted so we can collaborate.

Warm wishes,
Nellie
In reply to Dr. Nellie Deutsch

by Jeffrey Keefer -

Nellie-

Collaboration is becoming my life; seems there are few places where informal learning can be done more intensely!

Jeffrey

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Jeffrey,

I learn best through collaboration. The only kind of informal evaluation I envision is collaborative. Perhaps something like a participatory action research project where all the stakeholders are involved.

What so you think?

Nellie

by Jeffrey Keefer -

Nellie-

Collaboration is becoming my life; seems there are few places where informal learning can be done more intensely!

Jeffrey

by Jeffrey Keefer -

Nellie-

Jeffrey

Transformative Learning and Mezirow

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Jeffrey,

You may wish to check the Journal of Transformative Education and Jack Mezirow's theory of transformational learning. I have learned a great deal about collaboration from exploring the writings of Mezirow (Dirkx & Mezirow, 2006; Mezirow, 2003, 2004) on critical reflection and transformational learning in the Journal of Transformative Education. Here are a few of my favorites:

Dirkx, J. M., & Mezirow, J. (2006, April). Musings and reflections on the meaning, context, and process of transformative learning: A dialogue between John M. Dirkx and Jack Mezirow. Journal of Transformative Education, 4(2), 123-139. Retrieved April 16, 2009, from EBSCOhost database.

Mezirow, J. (2004, November). The role of cognitive development in Mezirow's transformational learning theory. Adult Education Quarterly, 55(1), 69-70. Retrieved April 16, 2009, from EBSCOhost database.

Mezirow, J. (2003, January). Transformative learning as discourse. Journal of Transformative Education, 1, 58 - 63. Retrieved April 16, 2009, from Sage Publications
In reply to caren levine

by Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers -
Hi,
Glad to see some familiar and some new people joining this exciting Scope Conference. Jo Ann here ...
In the past 5years I've been a regular e-learner in formal learning and informal ways. This topic has given me some ideas and I'm in for the full meal that, in my experience, is always a real deal (thanks to all the wonderful contributors).

I'm wading in slowly with more national and international involvements in informal teaching; I'm also a full time clinical psychologist, art therapist and dance/movement therapist.

Mostly I'm now interested in lifelong learning and teaching, informally and formally. Evaluation -- and portfolios that mean something, interest me. I just completed a graduate diploma in distance education and technology at Athabasca University. I already feel the challenges in introducing new informal learning about technology and teaching enhancement as I prepare for a presentation in technology and the expressive arts therapies.
Jo Ann
In reply to Jo Ann Hammond-Meiers

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -
Hi Jo Ann,

Great to "see" you here. I admire how you manage to keep up with all the SCoPE sessions. I hope to get back into the discussions. The topics are always engaging.
I am currently very involved in nings and Wikieducator in integrating technology, mentorship, and collaboration to improve instruction and learning.

Warm wishes,
Nellie
In reply to caren levine

by Deirdre Bonnycastle -
I'm Deirdre Bonnycastle, the Clinical Teaching Development Coordinator for the College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan. This topic caught my eye because I am doing a presentation on creating personal learning networks at the TLT conference and had not really thought about evaluating the process.

Welcome from Bill

by William Owen -

Hello All,

Caren and I are excited to welcome you to this forum to discuss evaluation practices for informal learning. In various contexts the question of how one evaluates self-paced/informal learning keeps arising.  Because this question keeps arising, we think it is important for us as a community to share in the conversations that daw on our collective knowledge and creative ideas.

What are our shared best-practices? How can what we do in one context extend to another context? How do we recognize, value, and appreciate people's commitment to enhancing their teaching, leadership, and other skills?

We look forward to having this exciting conversations with you over the next 3 weeks.

Thank you to Sylvia for establishing this event.

In reply to William Owen

Re: Welcome from Alice

by Alice Macpherson -
Hello from the Lower Mainland of BC on a beautiful spring day. The plum trees outside my window are in full bloom and there is a finch loudly proclaiming his territory out there as well.
This is an interesting topic and provides a lot of 'scope' for discussion and analysis.
As the Prior Learning Assessment coordinator at Kwantlen Polytechnic University, I believe that learning is continual and occurs in many ways, over time.
As a tradeswomen, I believe in an apprenticeship to learning process that is characterized by long term practise and practices to incrementally build deep expertise and the ability to transfer skills, knowledges, and attitudes to new environments.
As a constructivist/behavourist instructor and learner, I am always looking for change in context and interaction as evidence of learning.
I am very interested in reading how we all look at evaluation processes when we are not in time limited formal learning environments.

Re: Welcome to our April seminar!

by John Smith -
I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into here, but it looks like good company! And an important question!

This is John Smith -- from Learning Alliances in Portland, Oregon (USA) and from CPsquare -- more or less around the world.

Looking forward to see where this conversation goes!
In reply to John Smith

wikipedia as informal learning?

by caren levine -
John, I know you have been involved with a series of conference calls on CPSquare with Davee Evans of Wikipedia.

I'm thinking that Wikipedia is a type of self-guided learning resource. I'm wondering if there are any insights from the Wikipedia community about how they evaluate their work from the perspective of user learning experiences? Anything to glean from them? Thoughts?

by Lorraine Mockford -
Hello all;
Greetings from the East Coast of Canada where winter is refusing to release its grip, even on an Easter weekend.  

I am very interested in this topic, my colleagues and I have been exploring assessment ideas at our college (Nova Scotia Community College).  My questions of late have been to do with evaluation of informal learning, and like the earlier respondent from the West Coast, I am also involved with recognition of prior learning.

Thanks so much for offering this topic.
Lorraine

Lorraine Storry Mockford
HEHS Alternate Delivery Coordinator
Nova Scotia Community College

by Bronwyn Stuckey -
Hi Bron Stuckey here...

I have been recently absent (keeping a watching brief) from Scope but this topic and esteem held for its facilitators drew me back in a hurry. My lifeworld is probably the equivalent of a very quirky tool mashup; kinda cobbled together, free range and very fluid. I am an ex-classroom teacher and curriculum developer and and now a consultant, workshop leader/facilitator and post-doctoral researcher at Indiana University, teacher educator and in my purview are themes of community of practice, online identity, games and online virtual worlds MUVEs. Informal learning and levels/degrees of informality touch on every aspect of my work and learning.

I am really looking forward to some juicy exchanges here about how we evaluate (personally, professionally and organisationally) in informal learning contexts.

Bron Stuckey
www.bronwyn.ws (currently updating)
Bronst - skype
Bronst - twitter
Bron Bloxome - Second Life
Bronwyn Stuckey - Facebook
Bron - Quest Atlantis ( www.QuestAtlantis.org )

by Bonnie Johnston -
Hi everybody,

I participated in the 2006 Scope discussion on informal learning and the passion still burns.

I think I am so interested in validating informal learning experiences comes from my previous career as language instructor: my students learned, but it often was not through my efforts or anything that I had planned or intended :-)

I'm currently an instructional development consultant at the BC Institute of Technology in Burnaby, BC

by Paddy Fahrni -
Hello there, and thanks for your patience with my coming in late.
I'm a little farther from formal structures than the rest of you - my interest is in adult learning groups in the community, civic learning, etc. I first studied use of tech in informal learning through grad studies at the Centre for Distance Ed at Athabasca - working with a grass roots advocacy group. Much of my work has been re the settlement needs of adult immigrants - both college teaching, course design experience, program admin, and work at the non-profit org MOSAIC as well as community advocacy.
Thanks!
PF