top five benefits of using eLearning

top five benefits of using eLearning

by Jennison Asuncion -
Number of replies: 5

We asked our students with disabilities participants to list the benefits that they derived from using eLearning. The top five, for all students were:

* Availability of online course notes
* Help in learning and academic success
* Help in understanding course lecture content
* Ability to work at own an individual pace
* Ability to work or learn from home

What will be interesting will be to see if there are any differences once we analyze participants based on specific disability/impairment.

Jennison

In reply to Jennison Asuncion

Re: top five benefits of using eLearning

by Lisa Valentine -
Also don't forget - learner motivation.  I went to observe a maths class in a sixth form college in the uk and the learners all wanted to 'have another go' at a particular quiz that the teacher had put on the VLE.  On the accessibility strand, also there is anonymous-ness - you are not disabled if you are online.  You can't see a wheelchair online.  A bit glib I know but relevant nonetheless.
In reply to Lisa Valentine

by Jennison Asuncion -

Lisa,

I was actually surprised myself that the anonymity that the online environment provides did not score higher. Keep in mind though that our project's definition of eLearning is much broader than just courses delivered strictly online, which may explain why this did not come up as often.

Jennison

by Emma Duke-Williams -
Have you compared the answers that the disabled students gave with the cohort as a whole?
Looking at most of those answers, they're the same as are quoted for the advantages of online learning in general.
The two that I wasn't quite sure about were the two "Help in..." - are students referring to the fact that they can go at their own page & go over the material as often as possible, etc., or are they talking about the availability of staff to answer questions - perhaps at times when there might not be "regular" classes (weekend/ evening etc)?
In reply to Emma Duke-Williams

by Jennison Asuncion -

Emma et al,

We believe, based on our preliminary analysis that your former interpretation of "help" is correct.

Regarding your question Emma on comparing against the cohort as a whole, are you referring to students without disabilities who may have answered the same question in other eLearning-related studies?

Jennison

by Emma Duke-Williams -
Regarding your question Emma on comparing against the cohort as a whole, are you referring to students without disabilities who may have answered the same question in other eLearning-related studies?

Yes. I wondered if you'd asked the same questions to other students who'd used the same set of online material - as I'd have thought that quite a lot of students in general would give those benefits.