Using Marginalia

Using Marginalia

by Cindy Xin -
Number of replies: 25
What is it: Marginalia is an open source Javascript web annotation system that allows users of web applications to highlight text, write margin notes, and quote text. The Moodle version adds annotation to Moodle discussion forums. These features work much as would underlining and marginalia in a book, but unlike a book, they can be searched and used to group related material of special interest. Marginalia also includes a feature that makes it easy to identify the source of remarks copied and pasted from comments in the forum. When you drop a quotation into your own comment, its author and a link back to the original source is added automatically.

How to use Marginalia: Here is the link to the screencasts of Marginalia which shows how it works.

Why use Marginalia: Marginalia is useful in any context where the archive of comments is a resource for the future. In such contexts, users will want to have a record of their reactions and go back and reread the most important passages on selected topics. Marginalia is especially useful for the writing of summary comments that cover a wide range of comments and topics. These so-called “weaving comments” are difficult and time consuming to write. It is helpful to be able to use the computer’s capabilities to capture immediate reactions, to quickly identify and group significant passages by topic, and to quote with attribution.

Pedagogical considerations: Marginalia was designed to make it easier for teachers to participate in and for their students to learn from online discussions. Teachers can make a big difference in the quality of the discussion by introducing concepts from their disciplinary tradition in the course of commenting on students’ contributions. This pedagogical technique establishes a close connection between students’ reports of their own ideas and experiences and aspects of the course content that may be too unfamiliar, difficult or abstract for students themselves to introduce it in their comments. It is encouraging for students to see the teacher mention their contributions and helps to maintain a good flow of discussion, while also keeping the discussion on track. Active participation by the teacher is a pedagogically valid use of the Web for education. Marginalia is there to support this pedagogy. In addition, Marginalia can be used by students to organize the review of material in the online discussion archive and to write weaving comments as assignments, a good learning experience.

The Research: The purpose of the research we are conducting on Marginalia is to discover whether it is really useful for our preferred pedagogy, described in the preceding paragraph. We expect teachers who agree to test Marginalia to try it out for this type of online discussion, explaining it to the students and modeling its use for them. We will provide an opportunity for teachers to play with the software before introducing it to their class.

In reply to Cindy Xin

Re: Using Marginalia

by Cindy Xin -
In one of the classes, I observed that as soon as a post was out, a conversation centered around it took place on the margin. People highlighted text and commented on it and others commented on the comment. As a result, we had the trunk of the conversation in the discussion area, and many small talks branched out to the side. One student called these mini-conversations "thought graffiti" in the sense that it allowed her to put a flash of idea or a quick expression of opinion on the margin - the wall for others to see. Another student said, it allowed her to show emotions that is equivalent to a f-2-f conversation, like a nod, a frown, or an exclamation. So we got this range of communications from intellectual to emotional, or from "thought graffiti" to "nods on the side" because of the use of Marginalia.

Cindy
In reply to Cindy Xin

by Cindy Xin -
I have created a couple of post in this forum so people can trying out Marginalia on them. You should feel free to make your own posts and annotate them.

Cindy
In reply to Cindy Xin

by Deleted user -
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec feugiat, enim vel pharetra rutrum, turpis mi egestas erat, et vestibulum sem eros quis dolor. Cras lectus orci, tempor quis, congue vitae, ornare et, quam. Aliquam et libero non justo adipiscing faucibus. Mauris consequat fermentum nisl. Suspendisse placerat orci sed urna. Pellentesque mattis nulla eget nunc. Etiam nisl. Aenean nisl. Curabitur aliquet felis vitae velit. Integer leo ipsum, bibendum a, gravida sit amet, pellentesque et, velit. Etiam odio neque, sollicitudin eu, viverra et, pharetra vel, libero. Nullam quis dui in felis imperdiet elementum. Nunc non leo vitae dui convallis venenatis. Suspendisse mauris mi, mollis eget, placerat eget, vehicula sed, lacus. Praesent elit. Integer at arcu ut purus sollicitudin lobortis. Duis dolor. Ut nulla felis, accumsan nec, dapibus in, auctor vel, sapien. Nulla facilisi. Proin a eros.

Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Nulla lorem ante, mollis vitae, pellentesque nec, vestibulum varius, justo. Donec ullamcorper adipiscing arcu. Ut non diam. Nam ornare tortor a dui. Ut est sem, imperdiet nec, feugiat non, facilisis at, mauris. Quisque dignissim molestie eros. Nam sed quam. Maecenas accumsan pellentesque libero. Sed malesuada velit et lectus. Suspendisse potenti. Nulla facilisi. Ut diam erat, vulputate non, molestie nec, egestas sit amet, nibh. Nulla porta leo a nibh. Aenean leo mauris, tincidunt vitae, dignissim eu, sodales sed, mi. Phasellus consequat sem vel massa. Integer sagittis, augue vitae commodo viverra, metus erat convallis sapien, sit amet interdum turpis eros a lorem.

Matt
In reply to Deleted user

by Fei Gao -
Just wondering where this post will appear...

Sandbox Account wrote,

Duis dolor. Ut nulla felis

Via Sandbox Account, who noted,

Wonder if I can add a link http://www.lse.ac.uk

In reply to Fei Gao

by Fei Gao -
Someone else can continue responding to this.
In reply to Fei Gao

by Cindy Xin -
Fei Gao wrote,

Someone else can continue responding to this.

Fei, great to see you experimenting in the Sandbox. Keep playing and post your reaction. I'll be watching.

Cindy

In reply to Cindy Xin

by Deleted user -
I wanted to discover how to post in the marginilia sandbox; it looks like a discussion thread has to be already started and that I can reply to it. How do you start a new discussion thread? I think the way in is through SCOPE.
Phyllis
In reply to Cindy Xin

by Fei Gao -
I can quote this, and add more comments.

Cindy Xin wrote,

The Research: The purpose of the research we are conducting on Marginalia is to discover whether it is really useful for our preferred pedagogy, described in the preceding paragraph. We expect teachers who agree to test Marginalia to try it out for this type of online discussion, explaining it to the students and modeling its use for them. We will provide an opportunity for teachers to play with the software before introducing it to their class.

In reply to Fei Gao

by Deleted user -
Hello,
I love this feature. And the imagination, that it would work with a wiki too, makes me very excited.
Is it possible to add this feature to a wiki?
I mean with the necessary user-login and the sorting by users etc.?
Please let me know.
Thanks
Thomas
In reply to Cindy Xin

by Rob Alexander -

Cindy Xin wrote,

nderlining and marginalia in a book, but unlike a book, they can be searched and used to group related material of special interest. Marginalia also includes a feature that makes it easy to identify the source of remarks copied and pasted from comments in the forum. When you drop a quotation into y

In reply to Cindy Xin

by Deleted user -

I cannot make annotations, just replies...

The screencasts are removed...

How can I highlight text and annotate it?

In reply to Cindy Xin

by Sanjay Kaler -

eva bures wrote,

As we already know gender refers to “differences in physical and psychological characteristics between females and males” (Durkin, 1003). Gender differences are quite apparent during the elementary years. As you often see girls sporting tee-shirts that say “Boys are stupid, throw rocks and them.” Or such things as “Girls rule boys drool.” Boys on the other hand are saying things like “Girls have cooties and are ugly” I know during my elementary school years I often found myself steering away from boys as they were “DIFFERENT” from us girls. But what really makes us different?

Via eva bures, who noted,

My test