Welcome to our March seminar!

Welcome to our March seminar!

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 5
Developing a National Framework of Teaching Expectations in Higher Education is facilitated by Gary Hunt and Vivian Neal. Gary teaches in the Department of Natural Resource Sciences at Thompson Rivers University and is very involved in initiatives dealing with scholarly teaching and the scholarship of teaching and learning, student ratings of instruction, and promotion and tenure for teaching faculty.

Many of you will remember Vivian Neal who has co-facilitated SCoPE seminars for us in the past on the role of instructional designers and teaching & learning centres. Vivian is currently on secondment to University of Plymouth where she is teaching in the Post Graduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, a manditory program for all new lecturers.

Please join us Tuesday, March 3 at 19:00 GMT, 11:00 a.m. PST for the seminar kick off session via Elluminate.

Deirdre Bonnycastle has started a new thread for introductions here. (Thank you Deirdre!) Gary has sketched out the seminar structure for our 3 weeks together, and we have a wiki set up to gather seminar highlights and resources. Please feel free to contribute to the wiki! Alice Macpherson has gratiously volunteered to help keep the wiki organized and healthy. (Thank you Alice!)

Here are a few guidelines for participation in SCoPE seminars:
  • To respond to a question, or to comment/expand on a topic, open the relevant post and click the "reply" button.
  • To introduce a new topic open the seminar and click the "begin a new discussion thread" button.
  • As appropriate, change the subject heading to reflect the content of your post.
  • To help others understand the context of your message, remind the reader of the question/comment you are responding to, and the author.
Tips for managing your participation
  • The default setting for SCoPE seminars is "subscribe initially". This means that you will receive forum posts by email if you have your email account enabled on the site. To unsubscribe, or to subscribe via RSS, go to the forum list. From that page you can also switch tracking off and on, which is a cue to alert you to unread forum posts.
  • You may opt to turn off email options altogether in SCoPE. Click on your name anywhere it appears on the site then the "edit profile" tab. If you choose that option be sure to subscribe to the MicroSCoPE newsletter so you will continue to receive updates about SCoPE activities.
  • Open a forum discussion thread to access the forum search tool.
We would like to extend a special welcome to the new SCoPE members who will be joining us during this seminar, and hopefully many more times in the future!

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Welcome to our March seminar!

by Vivian Neal -

Welcome everyone to this seminar! I am very pleased to be co-facilitating over the next three weeks!  I am with the University of Plymouth, UK, for this year, teaching on their program for new lecturers, the Post Graduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. I am taking a year away from Simon Fraser University in Canada, so I have worked in both a credentialed higher education environment as well as a non-credentialed.

I will be sharing some of my insights and experiences during this seminar, and I hope to learn a lot also from everyone who contributes. Please share your thoughts - I hope we will all take away some new ideas to move this whole area forward.

In reply to Vivian Neal

by Nick Noakes -
Vivian, are you going to link to the UK framework (the one through the HEA)?
In reply to Nick Noakes

by Vivian Neal -

The UK's Higher Education Academy (HEA) supports institutions in their professional development of HE teachers through their accreditation program and Professional Standards Framework, as well as supporting HE teachers directly by offering a variety of programs and resources. Almost all HE institutions in the UK have manditory teaching and learning programs that are accredited by the HEA.

At the University of Plymouth all new lecturers are required to take the program consisting of three "M" level modules - in Canadian language, this is three Masters level courses taken by new faculty.  At Plymouth the first module is quite broad and covers both institutional and national policies/issues as well as teaching and learning theory. The second module is an action research project where lecturers research a small peice of their own practice. For the third module, participants select between a module in Learning Technologies or Teaching Research (Linking Teaching and Discipline-Based Research). The program can be taken over a period of one, two or three years, though most people take it all in one year.

In reply to Vivian Neal

by Nick Noakes -
Many thanks Vivien. Are the outlines of these 3 modules online on the UoP website?
In reply to Sylvia Currie

Elluminate recording from our kick off session

by Sylvia Currie -
We had a very interesting presentation by Gary earlier today and a great start on a conversation around developing a national framework of teaching expectations. Here is the link to the recording. I also added the transcript from our text chat as a separate page on our wiki. There are some great comments and questions in there so be sure to bring them forward to our discussion!