Why Haven't You Tried Open Source Software?

Re: Why Haven't You Tried Open Source Software?

by Eric Hoffer -
Number of replies: 0
While I've made use of some open source resources (firefox and wikis), I would like to do something much more involved, and am trying to determine if (and which) OSS might be best for what I'm trying to do.

What follows is a query I posted to yahoo groups I participate in, and I thought this group would good to discuss with as well:

I'm looking for a resource/application that enables community interaction and collaboration through integrated use of a wiki along with email exchanges and archival. The mail archive should ideally be in a tree format (as is the case with this environment), rather than blog type entry and comment format. Ideally, email entries would be taggable to link to corresponding topics within the wiki.

Moodle itself has been suggested.  And because of longer term desire to make interconnections between "communities" (social networking with personal profiling) and across topical boundaries, building something using Drupal has also been suggested (though its wiki capability isn't quite there).

Can anyone suggest what resources might be appropriate to either use or build with?