Seminar Structure

Re: Seminar Structure

by Nalin Abeysekera -
Number of replies: 2

Hello Gary,

It is interesting to discuss about this topic. Because in the sense of marketing we(teachers) should understand the needs and wants(expectations) of customers(students).And it is a national requirement too.As you mentioned we can discuss about the present and future scenarios with real life examples. And I have a doubt whether this is only about e-learning or the both face to face and online.

In sri lanka we are using the UK system (because we have been ruled by UK in past) in education but I think there are some areas which has been not touched by the administrators.(we need certain adaptations!!!)..

I will try to involve as I can for this fruitful discussion cause I think this one of the key area in this century.

In reply to Nalin Abeysekera

by Gary Hunt -
Thank you for your post Nalin. A national system of expectations will provide a reference framework of the essential knowledge and skills that post-secondary teachers should have. I see this as part of our professional obligation to be accountable and transparent about what we do.

Although many people refer to our students as "customers," I view the relationship very differently. I see them more as partners or colleagues in an extended educational journey. They integrate into the teaching and learning environment with us and have an intrinsic interest in the processes associated with their learning development. I think this is fundamentally different from "customers" in the sense of retail marketing.

I am very interested in your comment about needing adaptations from the UK system. It would be great if you could unpack that one for use--in what ways does the UK system not meet your needs?
In reply to Gary Hunt

by Nalin Abeysekera -

Hello Hunt,

Yes 100% agreed on the  word of customer and relationship..it is more than customer…It is our duty as teachers to understand, motivate and inspire them for learning. You are extremely correct.

The present educational system of Sri Lanka derives from the British educational system, which was introduced by the British colonial masters in the 19th century. The British colonial government established colleges for boys and girls separately. These colleges consisted of Primary Schools, Lower Secondary and Higher Secondary Schools. And because of this system students who are in the higher secondary schools (Collegiate Level ) getting only specialized in one stream.(science, maths ,arts or commerce).But only 15% of the students can get the chance to do to the University.That is the main problem I can see. Students are not getting any knowledge in their advanced level period other than their specializing subjects. If he /She is a science student then he/she is not getting more rounded education like broad coverage of the humanities, foreign languages, arts. Once you get 2A’ and one B’ in science you can’t go the medical college in Sri Lanka. Because universities they don’t have enough space.Can we asked that students to do the exam again?? Unfortunately they are doing that for the second time. This is the pathetic situation. And more importantly there is a perception of the country that once you do science you should go the medical college. but I personally like to see the change. If he/she did science there should be a change in thinking pattern. once you pass with 3c’s system should provide or absorb them. And more interestingly our literacy level is 92%!!!

But i think we can discuss these in the future!!!!1