Barriers to Open Source

Marginalia

by Sylvia Currie -
Number of replies: 3
Derek, I just spotted your little aside about marginalia not working for you.

For those joining us in SCoPE for the first time, we have Marginalia Web annotation installed. It allows you to make private or public annotations as you read forum posts. Appropriate to the topic of the seminar, it is open source software and there are 2 supported versions: 1) stand alone and 2) Moodle 1.6

It's not working for me at the moment either, and I wonder if it's related to a recent upgrade to Firefox 2.0. I can access past annotations, but I can't add new ones. Derek, what browser are you using?

I'll look into it further!

In reply to Sylvia Currie

Re: Marginalia

by Geoffrey Glass -
I've been working on a new version of Marginalia, and it's working fine on Firefox 2.0.  However, I see that here the button for creating new annotations is missing.  I see that I can still create annotations by selecting text and then typing Enter, so the problem seems limited to the missing button.  Does this correspond with your experience?

This is a display issue, which could relate to Firefox 2.0 (in which case it's likely my fault), or it could be an interaction with the look of the web site (has that changed recently?).  I'll look into it.
In reply to Geoffrey Glass

by Sylvia Currie -
Thanks for coming to the rescue, Geoffrey!

My experience matches yours. I think earlier I was sliding my mouse over to the annotation space instead of hitting Enter. But it's working fine to type Enter.

I checked in other areas of SCoPE and noticed that here in the Scheduled Seminars area the top annotation pull-down menu was pushed way over to the right. I had to scroll sideways to see it. (My admin view is a little different, but the placement of that pull-down menu isn't consistent across SCoPE) Anyway, that issue and the disappearance of the button to create new annotations could be related to a change in theme and some customization work on the site. I'll see what I can find out.

Thanks again!

In reply to Sylvia Currie

by Sylvia Currie -
Geof Glass and Trevor Bradley sorted out the Marganilia - SCoPE issue. It required a little CSS fix.

So now when you open a forum discussion and activate the annotations function (top right) you will see a yellow bar separating the message and annotation space. If you select some text in a message, then mouse over to the right, click on that yellow bar, or hit your enter key to create an annotation for the selected text. Here's a demo.