What if you are just getting started? Or don't even know if you SHOULD start...

What if you are just getting started? Or don't even know if you SHOULD start...

by Richard Smith -
Number of replies: 6
Some of our discussion, I think, has headed into specialized or advanced topics in podcasting and it might be helpful if we could hear from some of those of you who are just hearing about this, or don't know what it might mean for you, or are curious about how to get started. Whatever the state you're in, we'd like to hear about it...

And in that spirit, i have attached (look to the top right of this message) a welcome message to this thread. I recorded it in Quicktime Pro, and converted it to MP3 using iTunes.

...r
In reply to Richard Smith

Late intro -

by Marsha West -
Hi, I'm Marsha West. I do online facilitation, usually in the area of K12 teacher professional development. I don't know much at all about podcasting, and have just arrived at this seminar. (I've actually been on a month-long vacation with almost no online access! First time in many years I've actually been really disconnected from the internet.)

I live and work in a very remote area of Washington State -- the Olympic Peninsula. I have had lots of questions about the uses and value of podcasting, and reading through the various threads of this discussion today has been a real eye-opener for me. I must confess that I'd assumed it would be just an extension of the lecture platform, but I am quite intrigued about the many other possibilities for this technology, especially in regard to collaborative work among students.

It's nice to see many familiar names/faces here -- Nancy Riffer, Sarah Haavind, Sylvia Currie, et al . . . now that I'm plugged back into my DSL, I'll keep up better with what's happening in SCoPE.

~~marsha

Re: What if you are just getting started? Or don't even know if you SHOULD start...

by Heather Ross -
Richard,

I have a question. I'm part of a podcast called the EdTech Posse, but one of the other members of the group produces it. I want to start doing my own. I have GarageBand, but haven't really used it. Any tips on the technical side of getting started? If you've already covered this somewhere and I missed it, sorry about that.

UPDATE: Okay, with a quick search I found this from Penn State.
In reply to Heather Ross

Re: What if you are just getting started? Or don't even know if you SHOULD start...

by Richard Smith -
Heather,

I see you've found some good tips already, so I won't go into a big song and dance myself, other than to recommend ProfCast for the "quick win" podcast.

Garageband is very cool but sometimes overkill. The publishing to .mac is incredibly easy, but if you don't use .mac then you have to do the uploading yourself.

I'd be interested in hearing what other first timers use/do.

...r

by Nancy Riffer -
I am a rank beginner.  I am very interested in podcasts but first I have to learn to download them and transfer them to my MP3 player ((SanDisk).  I have downloaded itunes from online and have created a playlist in iTunes on my computer.  Now I cannot figure out how to get the playlist to show up on my player computer screen (Windows Media) so I can send it to the player.  I either see the itunes screen list or the WM window on the computer asking for the playlist that is to be transfered.  What am I missing? 

(I bought my first MP3 player after starting the current round of podcast courses; previously I had been listening to the same material in a streaming format.)

In iTunes, I have been successful in subscribing to a couple of podcasts -- yeah!

Maybe I would do better to use a diffent podcatcher?  I chose iTunes because it was widely recommended as easy.

Thanks for your help.
In reply to Nancy Riffer

by Rob Wall -
Nancy, does your mp3 player show up as a drive on your computer? If it does, you should be able to drag any audio from iTunes onto the player and it will transfer over. If this works, moving the audio is as easy as click and drag.
In reply to Rob Wall

by Nancy Riffer -
Rob,
Thanks for your suggestion.  I found my mp3 player--much later I realized it is not a drive but an audio device on the same page as the scanner and the drives.

I explored a lot including Help for Windows Media and trying a variety of tactics.  I seem to be chasing my own tail -- going around in circles.  Rob or anyone else have a suggestion for me to try?
Nancy