Week 3 - Imagining the Future of OER

Re: Week 3 - Imagining the Future of OER

by Therese Weel -
Number of replies: 1
The part of this discussion that I've been thinking about most is when Gina said.

So I suppose I would subscribe to the ‘virtuous cycle’ idea that Colby Stuart refers to above.I think information is sort of like electricity: it’s only useful if it circulates. The more it circulates, the more power it generates. Of course you have to know how to use it, how to evaluate it. But you certainly can’t collect electricity in a jar.

To which Colby replied -

Electricity in a jar is a - lightbulb

Which in turn ignited a vision in in my head of a massive pinball machine with us inside bouncing ideas off each other - lighting each other up!

I'm thinking - yeah that's what I want - and that's what I've got. To be in a open space where we can bounce ideas - perfectly imperfect ideas, where it is up to the individual to develop the skills to separate fact from fiction.

I wandered off - as I tend to do - to explore media literacy and the skills an individual needs to navigate the ocean of publicly available information.

Couple of links I enjoyed

Michael Wesch's presentation a portal to media literacy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4yApagnr0s

Stephen Downes course on Logical Fallacies - which I understand he is turning into a serialized rss feed to explore RSS as a course delivery mechanism

http://www.onegoodmove.org/fallacy/toc.htm

I've created courseware at my all time favorite job at BCIT some years ago and worked for a private company creating interactive training and kiosk software. I wonder how my work could have been built upon and what it would be now if the environment had been more open.

In 2006 I set about creating my "Virtual Toolshed" a monthly series of pdfs that explored using publicly available tools and information to empower the individual. I learned a lot and made new friends who read and commented on my work. I learned how quickly information changes and the limitations of the written word when your objective is to help someone become more skilled. I didn't get a dime or a pretty certificate- but it provided a basis for the skills I have now which are invaluable.

I appreciate Paul's explanation of the open source license for public institutions and the efforts to mitigate between the old world and the new. I appreciate having venues such as scope and people working to move our governments and public institutions ahead bit by bit.

To me, the value of the populace as a whole asking their own questions, getting the knowledge they need and applying it daily is paramount to squabbling over who owns what.

I aspire to be... a pinball wizard!
In reply to Therese Weel

Re: Week 3 - Imagining the Future of OER

by Prince Obiri-Mainoo -
I'm happy to learn so much about OERs during these three weeks. I have read almost every posting and checked several of the links referred to by others. I'm encouraged and optimistic about OERs tremendous impact on education and global economies generally in the years ahead. I see Thomas Friedman's prediction of the world becoming flat happening in our generation.

The contributions of practitioners and other stakeholders who believe in the concept of OERs are the collective force behind the leveling of the playing field for students and people everywhere to benefit from this ongoing global initiative. Thank you all at SCOPE for making this happen sooner than later!

Prince